Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams from Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
WOW!...good runs! your running a drag setup on tires.

I can see you spinning too...I wonder how much that hurtin ya..

great runs to watch

car sounds good too! guess thats what i sound like...Ive never heard my car from the outside

I guess its just crap shoot on rearends if they can take it or not.

Im also on LS7 clutch ...so i dunno how much that can take.
Thanks man!!

I would say the spinning is killing me. (Spinnin' aint Winnin' lol)I wouldn't call the NittoNT555R's a Drag Radial in my opinion. I had them at 14psi, so that helped me hook a little more. (Some people would probably say I'm crazy for bringing them down that low) I would say the Nitto NT05R would hook better than these, and the tire I'm prolly going to next would be the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial PRO. The ET Streets would also be a better tire than the ones I have but I'm going to purchase some Weld RTS wheels for the rear and throw the PRO on them.

Another thing which I think I did okay with was shifting, the car is a 6 speed but with the Monster Stage 3 and Tick setup/Pro 5.0/Lou's Short stick, the car shifts quick; could be quicker, but I'm just a normal guy lol
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is your tire setup right now?

what did you shift at?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
what is your tire setup right now?

what did you shift at?
Those were Weld ProStar rims with Moroso skinnies on front. (Just track setup, I rock the 17's all the way around for street use) 17" Corvette Wheel with a 315 NittoNT555R's on the rear.

Shifting around 6500.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how far into 3rd gear was you gettin?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

She'll do 100mph and hit the 6600 limiter in 3rd gear. That's with 4.10's.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

James, if you're going to go to a drag set-up on the wheels go with a slick. A slick will always work better than a radial on a car with a clutch as they need slip off the starting line to generate wheel speed. With a radial to make them work they have to dead hook and not spin at all. With a clutch car dead hooking breaks parts and causes the car to bog.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
James, if you're going to go to a drag set-up on the wheels go with a slick. A slick will always work better than a radial on a car with a clutch as they need slip off the starting line to generate wheel speed. With a radial to make them work they have to dead hook and not spin at all. With a clutch car dead hooking breaks parts and causes the car to bog.
Thanks man! Any certain tire you have in mind? Essentially what you're saying is a six speed car should always spin to generate wheel speed? I know in my case or as of right now I def need to spin or I risk the 10 bolt breaking immediately. I appreciate all the info man.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Martin, it was great talking with you last week: thanks for the detailed information!

We had discussed the SNS Stage 2 cam but I am still torn between that and the SNS Stage 3. My goal is to make absolutely certain I hit the 450 HP mark while making as much torque as possible while keeping the torque band as low as possible with what I have to work with.

It looks as though I will have the following components to work with.

PRC As Cast 225's (with whatever chamber you recommend), Fast 92 non-ported intake, NW or Fast 92 TB, Jegs/SLP 25% UD, 3.73 gear upgrade, Bosch #42 injectors, stock GM rockers w/trunion upgrade, dual springs, new pushrods, Racetronix fuel pump w/upgraded harness, 1 7/8" LT's (undecided on brand), and Magnaflow exhaust with or without cats (undecided on cats or not).

If using a different set of heads other than the 225's would be recommended, I am all ears. Also, since this is not a daily driver, 150 miles per year so far, having to change springs every 10k miles would be fine. At the rate I drive, I would need to change springs every 66 years.

Please let me know if I missed anything and I look forward to talking with you later this week: will probably order the cam this week if I can ever decide between the two..

Q

Last edited by Qfly; 06-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Qfly
Martin, it was great talking with you last week: thanks for the detailed information!

We had discussed the SNS Stage 2 cam but I am still torn between that and the SNS Stage 3. My goal is to make absolutely certain I hit the 450 HP mark while making as much torque as possible while keeping the torque band as low as possible with what I have to work with.

PRC As Cast 225's (with whatever chamber you recommend), Fast 92 non-ported intake, NW or Fast 92 TB, Jegs/SLP 25% UD, 3.73 gear upgrade, Bosch #42 injectors, stock GM rockers w/trunion upgrade, duel springs, new pushrods, Racetronix fuel pump w/upgraded harness, 1 7/8" LT's (undecided on brand), and Magnaflow exhaust with or without cats (undecided on cats or not).

If using a different set of heads than the 225's would be recommended, I am all ears. Also, since this is not a daily driver, 150 miles per year so far, having to change springs every 10k miles would be fine. At the rate I drive, I would need to change springs every 66 years.

Please let me know if I missed anything and I look forward to talking with you later this week: will probably order the cam this week if I can ever decide between the two..

Q
Looking forward to hearing about this one as I am also starting to look at the SNS Stage 2 or 3 and proper heads for a hot (I am willing to put up with some loss in driving manners) daily driver set up.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orthopod
Looking forward to hearing about this one as I am also starting to look at the SNS Stage 2 or 3 and proper heads for a hot (I am willing to put up with some loss in driving manners) daily driver set up.
I am hoping the driving manners will be pretty good with proper tuning. If it becomes a pain to drive on a nice Sunday afternoon cruise, that will take some of the fun factor out of things If I could be certain 450 hp could be made with the SNS Stage 2 cam, my decision between the two would be over and I would order the stage 2 tomorrow.

Good luck on your project!

Q
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am hoping the driving manners will be pretty good with proper tuning. If it becomes a pain to drive on a nice Sunday afternoon cruise, that will take some of the fun factor out of things If I could be certain 450 hp could be made with the SNS Stage 2 cam, my decision between the two would be over and I would order the stage 2 tomorrow.

Good luck on your project!

Q
I have the SNS Stage 2 cam and I'm confident that with the mods I have, I'll be right around 435 to 440 rwhp; without a FAST setup. With a FAST 92/92, 450rwhp will not be a problem. Just look at what Fear LS put down with this cam. I can tell you from experience that with this cam, you won't be dissapointed and driving it around town is no problem at all.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Thanks man! Any certain tire you have in mind? Essentially what you're saying is a six speed car should always spin to generate wheel speed? I know in my case or as of right now I def need to spin or I risk the 10 bolt breaking immediately. I appreciate all the info man.
Since your trans generates no slip by itself like a converter car does to allow the engine rpm to keep accelerating while wheel speed is generated. This is called "flash" with a converter. You have to generate it via wheel speed or the engine will bog and/or you'll break parts. It's all about keeping engine rpm up while generating wheel speed so that you "stand" the tire up. With a slick it will wrinkle on the initial hit and then "stand up" as the tire generates wheel speed. If not enough wheel speed is generated as the engine accelerates the tire will go into shake. Too much and you spin. After seeing the videos of our customers car on our Face Book you should be able to see what I am talking about. The 6.50@107 pass was almost perfect.

PRC As Cast 225's (with whatever chamber you recommend), Fast 92 non-ported intake, NW or Fast 92 TB, Jegs/SLP 25% UD, 3.73 gear upgrade, Bosch #42 injectors, stock GM rockers w/trunion upgrade, dual springs, new pushrods, Racetronix fuel pump w/upgraded harness, 1 7/8" LT's (undecided on brand), and Magnaflow exhaust with or without cats (undecided on cats or not).

If using a different set of heads other than the 225's would be recommended, I am all ears. Also, since this is not a daily driver, 150 miles per year so far, having to change springs every 10k miles would be fine. At the rate I drive, I would need to change springs every 66 years.

Q
I would stick with those heads and do the Stage 2. The Stage 3 could be a bear if your tuner doesn't spend time street tuning it to get the best drivability out of it. I don't just mean two or three laps around the block. I mean hours. Jonathan will spend a lot of time with the bigger cammed cars we do and they always turn out awesome because of that attention to detail.
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I have the SNS Stage 2 cam and I'm confident that with the mods I have, I'll be right around 435 to 440 rwhp; without a FAST setup. With a FAST 92/92, 450rwhp will not be a problem. Just look at what Fear LS put down with this cam. I can tell you from experience that with this cam, you won't be dissapointed and driving it around town is no problem at all.
Any updates on yours Nate?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I would stick with those heads and do the Stage 2. The Stage 3 could be a bear if your tuner doesn't spend time street tuning it to get the best drivability out of it. I don't just mean two or three laps around the block. I mean hours. Jonathan will spend a lot of time with the bigger cammed cars we do and they always turn out awesome because of that attention to detail.
Martin, I think your absolutely correct with regards to going with the SNS stage 2. I will consider the cam decision problem solved and go from there

The guys that are going to do the tuning kinda laughed when I gave them the cam specs for the stage 3 and mentioned tuning for great driving habits. They basically said they will tune it to the best of their abilities. They do, however, tune on the dyno-jet for peak performance then take you out around town and tune for max driving comfort. Something else they also recommended was a speed density tune: not sure about that as the weather is always changing etc..

Thanks again Martin!

Update: SNS Stage 2 cam has arrived!

Q

Last edited by Qfly; 07-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Since your trans generates no slip by itself like a converter car does to allow the engine rpm to keep accelerating while wheel speed is generated. This is called "flash" with a converter. You have to generate it via wheel speed or the engine will bog and/or you'll break parts. It's all about keeping engine rpm up while generating wheel speed so that you "stand" the tire up. With a slick it will wrinkle on the initial hit and then "stand up" as the tire generates wheel speed. If not enough wheel speed is generated as the engine accelerates the tire will go into shake. Too much and you spin. After seeing the videos of our customers car on our Face Book you should be able to see what I am talking about. The 6.50@107 pass was almost perfect.
Would E/T Streets hold up for the job or the M/T radial PRO ??? Any Recommendations?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too...sounds like the hottest street cam. Love those 4500-5500 pull numbers. where would u put your shift point at per gear with an automatic ?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Martin, I think your absolutely correct with regards to going with the SNS stage 2. I will consider the cam decision problem solved and go from there

The guys that are going to do the tuning kinda laughed when I gave them the cam specs for the stage 3 and mentioned tuning for great driving habits. They basically said they will tune it to the best of their abilities. They do, however, tune on the dyno-jet for peak performance then take you out around town and tune for max driving comfort. Something else they also recommended was a speed density tune: not sure about that as the weather is always changing etc..

Thanks again Martin!

Update: SNS Stage 2 cam is on order!

Q
Not a problem Q!
Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Would E/T Streets hold up for the job or the M/T radial PRO ??? Any Recommendations?
The M/T Radial Pro is a drag radial. You really need a slick which an E.T. Street would work if it's a bias ply.

Here is something I figured you guys would like!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Sound "small" Martin
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

It's just a little ol' TR224 cam......
Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ordered a sns stage 2 milder today, can't wait to get it all installed. Thanks for taking the time to help me decide Martin, it was a pleasure!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RyderTA
Ordered a sns stage 2 milder today, can't wait to get it all installed. Thanks for taking the time to help me decide Martin, it was a pleasure!
Not a problem! The SNS Army is growing even more! This cam is becoming a staple in this community and it wouldn't be possible without you guys!

Quick Reply: New cams from Tick Performance