Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams from Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeRM82
Are there any results for the stage 1 cam in a stock compression 5.3 yet? I know you were waiting on the truck guys to get back to you.

What kind of power do you think you could get out of a stock compression 5.3 with the SNS stage 1?
Any power goals with the towing series of cams you mentioned?
Also like to know this. 5.3 needs to get a little more oomph to tow around 2K rpm!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

If you guys are able to make more TQ than a 220/220, or 224/224 you guys are gonna have people outside your shop like it was black friday 24/7. The truck guys really use only a couple of off the shelf cams. Both the off the shelf cams were designed for LS1 motors with more compresseion weren't they? Us truck guys have lower compression, and seem to have to mill the heads to get the TQ numbers up.

I have an 07 (smaller body), with the low compression 5.3, and have been looking at cams. I have 4:10's, built trans, 3200 stall, long tubes, and cal tracs on my truck right now. If you guys are able to come up with a cam to put a truck set up like that (on ET streets) into the 12's and 13 flat on hot days........you guys will be sitting on a gold mine.....as long as the heads stay on the truck, amd it's just a cam swap the average Joe like me will have an awesome set up that they can still use as pick up truck.
With guys going to the bigger 228/228 cams and up they loose the average TQ for more peak......and have to run larger stalls.....sometimes not an option for a few guys. Some guys spend so much cash on heads to bump the compression up that they might as well have put a 6.0L in it......so a cam thats affordable to toss in and make power for 12's on the stock heads would make a few people think twice about where they are spending thier money.......I dig the stock headed LS2 you posted up!

Do you guys think designing a truck specific cam that increases the dynamic compression would be able to make more average TQ than the two grinds we've been using?

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions! I dig the Military discount, and the way you mention it on your website......LOL.......you don't see too many people saying thank you anymore, let alone a discount with a smile......
Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been meaning to design 3 off the shelf TorqueMax cams for SUV/Truck applications, but I have been putting it off forever because I haven't had a large enough pool of data to draw from.

Since the first person asked me about a truck line of camshafts, I've been using data from customers that have agreed to the testing for a new line of truck cams. I've tried single pattern camshafts, traditional split and even reverse grind camshafts to see which made more torque in each application. The results are interesting to say the least, but my N/A cams will still retain a traditional split design with their @.050" valve events.

Most want to tow with better fuel mileage and power, the other's want maximum E.T. and power for what they have. Expect three camshafts to add to the existing TorqueMax camshaft line, but for truck and SUV applications. I feel like I've gathered enough data from several customers to now complete a line of truck/suv torque minded camshafts.

Look for something soon on this.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

My SNS2 first start, open headers of course for your enjoyment. I cant thank Martin enough for answering all of my questions and helping me out the way he did seeing how busy he is. Car fired up and ran fine, needs a new tune of course, its hard to get it to idle. Thanks Tick!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I have been meaning to design 3 off the shelf TorqueMax cams for SUV/Truck applications, but I have been putting it off forever because I haven't had a large enough pool of data to draw from.

Since the first person asked me about a truck line of camshafts, I've been using data from customers that have agreed to the testing for a new line of truck cams. I've tried single pattern camshafts, traditional split and even reverse grind camshafts to see which made more torque in each application. The results are interesting to say the least, but my N/A cams will still retain a traditional split design with their @.050" valve events.

Most want to tow with better fuel mileage and power, the other's want maximum E.T. and power for what they have. Expect three camshafts to add to the existing TorqueMax camshaft line, but for truck and SUV applications. I feel like I've gathered enough data from several customers to now complete a line of truck/suv torque minded camshafts.

Look for something soon on this.
Did the trucks that you had test the performance style cams have the higher compression 5.3's (L33/08 & up) or the lower compression style LM7?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

I want to thank martin for hooking me up with a cam . I spec this one out sounds good &pulls thru the power band.
thanks again, martin

juan garza

Last edited by 1-87 chevy; 04-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Just got my SNS2 Milder tuned tonight and can't be happier about my cam choice. Martin was right about getting the car to drive almost like stock with a good tune! Unfortunately it was a street-only tune and I didn't get it on the dyno but I can tell you the power is fantastic. Can't wait to take it to the track.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by b0b
My SNS2 first start, open headers of course for your enjoyment. I cant thank Martin enough for answering all of my questions and helping me out the way he did seeing how busy he is. Car fired up and ran fine, needs a new tune of course, its hard to get it to idle. Thanks Tick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8My2CpUaWwQ
No problem! Is that Phil tuning in the front seat?
Originally Posted by JeRM82
Did the trucks that you had test the performance style cams have the higher compression 5.3's (L33/08 & up) or the lower compression style LM7?
I have tested about 10 different cam profiles now in a handful of 5.3's and 6.0's. 2-3 were even the new 6.2 square port trucks.

I cannot remember off the top of my head if the majority of those 5.3's were flat top piston motors or not.
Originally Posted by 1-87 chevy
I want to thank martin for hooking me up with a cam . I spec this one out sounds good &pulls thru the power band.
thanks again, martin

juan garza
Wow Juan that is one gorgeous truck!!! So how does the new smaller cam feel versus the larger cam you had in it? Does it still pull just as hard up top?

How about down low? I'm glad you like it!
Originally Posted by predatorz28
Just got my SNS2 Milder tuned tonight and can't be happier about my cam choice. Martin was right about getting the car to drive almost like stock with a good tune! Unfortunately it was a street-only tune and I didn't get it on the dyno but I can tell you the power is fantastic. Can't wait to take it to the track.
No problem sir! A good tune(I've found most street tunes to be much more comprehensive and thorough than some shops dyno tunes) will make even some of the largest cams drive very well.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

martin- I have a question for you. Which size cam best for my set up with ls6 5.7 347 I am current built it. The compressior should be around 10.1 on 64cc heads I think. Also I might will run nitrous 150 shot max. I just want find cam can make powerful pull hard, friendly street. This is going be in my project on s10 pickup. Probaly run 3.73 gears And 4l60e with 3000-3200 stall
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

No problem! Is that Phil tuning in the front seat?
No lol, that's my buddy Joe just fiddling around, he doesn't actually have the Hp tuners license so we weren't albe to do anything. I will most definitely post results from Phil when I get over there and on his dynojet. Thanks again Martin.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
martin- I have a question for you. Which size cam best for my set up with ls6 5.7 347 I am current built it. The compressior should be around 10.1 on 64cc heads I think. Also I might will run nitrous 150 shot max. I just want find cam can make powerful pull hard, friendly street. This is going be in my project on s10 pickup. Probaly run 3.73 gears And 4l60e with 3000-3200 stall
Send me an email to the address in signature if you can sir. I will get you something whipped up!
Originally Posted by b0b
No lol, that's my buddy Joe just fiddling around, he doesn't actually have the Hp tuners license so we weren't albe to do anything. I will most definitely post results from Phil when I get over there and on his dynojet. Thanks again Martin.
Be prepared to be heart broken by that dyno LOL!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

all smiles!!!!! the power is there when the converter flashes ,it will pull thru 7200 which is where I shift . The only short comings is the fuel pump ,its time for dual 255's to make sure the motor has what it needs. And for anyone that's cam shopping martin the man!!!!!

p.s have yet to send my brothers info
Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at getting the street heat stage 1. How noticible would that cam be on a stock ls1. I've heard the stage 2 street heat cam and it doesn't sound bad.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Martin, what lifter preload do you recommend on LS7 lifters with your SNS stage 2 camshaft.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1-87 chevy
all smiles!!!!! the power is there when the converter flashes ,it will pull thru 7200 which is where I shift . The only short comings is the fuel pump ,its time for dual 255's to make sure the motor has what it needs. And for anyone that's cam shopping martin the man!!!!!

p.s have yet to send my brothers info
I'm glad you're enjoying the cam. Is it out of fuel or you're just wanting to add a second pump for future use?
Originally Posted by blown97ss
Looking at getting the street heat stage 1. How noticible would that cam be on a stock ls1. I've heard the stage 2 street heat cam and it doesn't sound bad.
The Street Heat Stage 1 is a very mild camshaft. If you want something that sounds stock, and drives stock the Street Heat Stage 1 is a great cam. It's not going to perform like the Polluter, but it will definitely gain a solid 35-45rwhp and 15-20rwtq.
Originally Posted by 3rdGenLS
Martin, what lifter preload do you recommend on LS7 lifters with your SNS stage 2 camshaft.
.050"-.060" ideally. .080" is acceptable, but I shoot for .050"-.060" if possible.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin, I sent you a contact question on your site, but figured I would put it here.

I have a forged 347 with ls3 small bore (as cast, but milled .030) heads, ported ls3 intake, and ls7 Exhaust manifolds. The 231/239 cam in there feels a bit too big, it really has nothing below 4500.

This car is getting a blower eventually, but I will be running N/A for a while until I have the funds to do that right.

How do you think your stage 1 ls3 blower camshaft would work in my setup? The 222/240 version. That has negative overlap, which is something I am looking for. Not looking for maximum N/A power here, but something that will work well N/A but even better when the blower goes on.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Martin - how much would you guess my car would gain changing from the street heat stage 2 to the sns stage 2? Current best is 11.87 112 mph. It runs great but thinking ahead to next year I'd like to be able to run 11.50 and move just a little lower in the field.

On a side note, car ran in the best air yet, 1100', 1.60 60' and 11.76 at 113.9mph. (Street heat stage 2)

For next year I would like to see 11.7 in the heat, 11.50 in air like tonight.

Last edited by ironmanLS1; 09-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Martin, I sent you a contact question on your site, but figured I would put it here.

I have a forged 347 with ls3 small bore (as cast, but milled .030) heads, ported ls3 intake, and ls7 Exhaust manifolds. The 231/239 cam in there feels a bit too big, it really has nothing below 4500.

This car is getting a blower eventually, but I will be running N/A for a while until I have the funds to do that right.

How do you think your stage 1 ls3 blower camshaft would work in my setup? The 222/240 version. That has negative overlap, which is something I am looking for. Not looking for maximum N/A power here, but something that will work well N/A but even better when the blower goes on.
It's too wide on the center-lines IMO. It will take too long to reach peak valve lift IMO when we're counting on Earth's atmosphere and the pressure differential created inside the cylinder on the intake stroke to fill it.

I would recommend my 223/234 .610"/.612" 111+4 camshaft I use in a lot of G8's and 5th Gen's for guys that want low end torque and a camshaft that still pulls to 6600rpm.

I think you will be much happier with the nearly 10 degrees less intake duration that my camshaft has over your current camshaft. What is the current ICL of your 231/239 camshaft?

Compare it to my 222/234 on a 107icl which gives us a 38.5@.050" ABDC closing event. I would be willing to bet your intake closing event is nearly 6-8 degrees later than mine. With a long runner OEM style intake, the torque difference could be very large.

Cylinder pressure is your friend when it comes to making torque.
Originally Posted by ironmanLS1
Martin - how much would you guess my car would gain changing from the street heat stage 2 to the sns stage 2? Current best is 11.87 112 mph. It runs great but thinking ahead to next year I'd like to be able to run 11.50 and move just a little lower in the field.

On a side note, car ran in the best air yet, 1100', 1.60 60' and 11.76 at 113.9mph. (Street heat stage 2)

For next year I would like to see 11.7 in the heat, 11.50 in air like tonight.
Not enough to justify changing it IMO. I think your car is missing power somewhere. Just don't know where without putting it on our dyno really.

That E.T. is very nice though! You've done a great job chipping away at it and a 11.7 for a street driven car is very impressive! If we could get you a 115-117mph trap speed you'd be in the 11.4's easily.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If we could get you a 115-117mph trap speed you'd be in the 11.4's easily.
Thanks Martin. Now 11.4 would be impressive for a street car! Hmmm, this is going to have me thinking what I am missing or need to correct to get another couple tenths.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's too wide on the center-lines IMO. It will take too long to reach peak valve lift IMO when we're counting on Earth's atmosphere and the pressure differential created inside the cylinder on the intake stroke to fill it.

I would recommend my 223/234 .610"/.612" 111+4 camshaft I use in a lot of G8's and 5th Gen's for guys that want low end torque and a camshaft that still pulls to 6600rpm.

I think you will be much happier with the nearly 10 degrees less intake duration that my camshaft has over your current camshaft. What is the current ICL of your 231/239 camshaft?

Compare it to my 222/234 on a 107icl which gives us a 38.5@.050" ABDC closing event. I would be willing to bet your intake closing event is nearly 6-8 degrees later than mine. With a long runner OEM style intake, the torque difference could be very large.

Cylinder pressure is your friend when it comes to making torque.
Thanks. My cam was on a 111 icl, 115+4. Is this an off the shelf grind?

Quick Reply: New cams from Tick Performance