Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cometic head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cometic head gaskets

I have stock head bolts on my 402. And i just bought arp head studs. could i replace a bolt after i take one out? and would my gaskets be alright. and do i use stock torque pattern and specs?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you are asking whether or not you can remove the factory bolts one at a
time and replacing them with an ARP stud, right? I don't think its a good idea to try it that way but I have never done it. If you really want to attempt it you would have to loosen in the order specified.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

And I would like to know if I can re use my gaskets
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cometics are supposed to be reusable a few times. I have heard people say that
they reused them and they leaked. Others have reused them with great results. I think if you clean the gaskets and heads/deck really well they should be fine. I have also heard that if you reuse them, spray both sides of the gaskets with copper spray.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Is it possible to pick up copper spray at the parts store
Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, permatex makes it. You can find it almost anywhere.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty sure you will want to clean out the bolt holes they could fill up with stuff preventing a proper clamp.
Best to drain the water and pull the heads, do it once do it right.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

yeah good point ringram... haha i always look at cutting corners thanks everyone
Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Personally I don't see why you couldn't change them out one at a time. The head would never be unsealed. Just make sure you clean out the bolt holes real well.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bandit28
I have stock head bolts on my 402. And i just bought arp head studs. could i replace a bolt after i take one out? and would my gaskets be alright. and do i use stock torque pattern and specs?
yes, you can do this. Pull one bolt at a time replacing it with a stud and torque the stud to the 2nd torque spec. What i mean by 2nd torque spec is torque it to what you would do on the second torquing of the 3 steps. After they are all in, then re-check the 2nd torque on all, and then go do final torque. I know of many people who have done a stud swap this way without issue and doing it with a re-usable head gasket should present zero issues.

Hammer
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Ok solid! so you are for sure on this?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Whats wrong with the head bolts now?

Andrew
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Whats wrong with the head bolts now?

Andrew
Good question.

Are you running big n2o or boost?

I think you're wasting your time changing them and it's going to be a PIA to clean out the bolt holes one at a time with the heads on, in a f-body to boot.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Good question.

Are you running big n2o or boost?

I think you're wasting your time changing them and it's going to be a PIA to clean out the bolt holes one at a time with the heads on, in a f-body to boot.
How important is it gonna be for him to clean out the threads good if he's screwing in a stud finger tight and then torquing on a nut? But yeah, it probably is a waste of time as the stock bolts should do the job.

Hammer
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thehammer69
How important is it gonna be for him to clean out the threads good if he's screwing in a stud finger tight and then torquing on a nut? But yeah, it probably is a waste of time as the stock bolts should do the job.

Hammer
If there is any coolant in the bottom of the bolt holes, when he installs the studs they will hydraulic and bust the bottom of the bolt hole out.

Plus, if the threads are not clean, then he will not get an accurate torque reading.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

I am going to be running 200+ shot. not certain yet, but i just bought roller rockers and head studs. There is nothing wrong with the stock bolts , I just want to be sure about those heads not walking or breaking a bolt off. But I have made my mind up, I am going to take the heads all of the way off
Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
If there is any coolant in the bottom of the bolt holes, when he installs the studs they will hydraulic and bust the bottom of the bolt hole out.

Plus, if the threads are not clean, then he will not get an accurate torque reading.
Ok, we are talking studs here not bolts. I understand the coolant issue which can be taken care of in a second with an air blow nozzle. However, the part of the stud threaded into the block is not a focus of torque. They are not supposed to turn except maybe a little. All the friction is happening where the NUT threads onto the stud and is torqued down. That is why you DON'T have to clean the threads good with studs. Only the exposed thread of the stud itself needs to be clean.

Hammer
Old 01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, we are talking studs here not bolts. I understand the coolant issue which can be taken care of in a second with an air blow nozzle. However, the part of the stud threaded into the block is not a focus of torque. They are not supposed to turn except maybe a little. All the friction is happening where the NUT threads onto the stud and is torqued down. That is why you DON'T have to clean the threads good with studs. Only the exposed thread of the stud itself needs to be clean.

Hammer
Cool I read stud and heard bolt
Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Hammer
There is a possibility that he could have a bunch of factory threadlock or crap left over in the hole. If the stud is not bottomed out, the nut could run out of thread causing a no or less TQ condition. Could it happen.... yes.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hammer

just so there isnt any confusion..
while its only the top that must be clean and broken in, for the torque values.....the threads for the stud in the block must still be clean for proper head retention.

also, any water in there may still cause hydraulic stress/fractures.. unless its frozen with a form of locktite, the stud does tighten some as its being torqued.