Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Fbody shifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 mustangs, had the MGW on all 4. I love that shifter. Matter of fact before I got my last car(cobra) I ordered the shifter before I got the car because the guy said they had a pro 5.0 in it. I should be getting me an f-body soon, so I can't wait because MGW will be the first mod I do.

Another thing you guys might like, maybe. They have a Monsterknob resign shifter, which stays cool even with the sun beaming on it, and it stays kinda cool in the winter, even when it's cold. It's like a 2" ****, which is really neat. Not sure if they make it for the f-bodys though, but i'm sure you can use the one made for mustangs, since the mgw has the same threads as the t-56 shifter for the 03-04 cobra.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

So what type shifter did you guys get? Because I look at there web site and they only have viper, vette and shitstang?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
So what type shifter did you guys get? Because I look at there web site and they only have viper, vette and shitstang?
Originally Posted by bballr4567
Search the net for MGW Ltd and youll find their site. You need to call them up and ask them about it because they dont have it on their site yet.
On the first page.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine came in a few days ago. I'll be putting it in soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone catching the fact that people are saying, "My Pro 5.0 doesn't center itself like it used to." Point is, all shifters center great at first. What makes you think the MGW won't break down like the rest? Not hating, just saying.

I've had my Pro 5.0 for 7 or 8 years and it still centers great. It can be a little notchy driving around town though. I've verified that twice now by reinstalling the factory Hurst and it is much smoother than the Pro. However, I still prefer the Pro 5.0 over the Hurst even with the notchiness due to how it confirms the gate you are in and how much faster I can shift under full throttle.

I think I'd be willing to give up the quicker shifts though as long as it wasn't alot slower and it was as easy to shift as the Hurst for the daily commute and still confirmed the gates well with shorter throws. I wish someone around me had one. Didn't think about the notchiness for the past 7 years until I saw this thread but now I'm aware of it when I drive it now.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStolen
Anyone catching the fact that people are saying, "My Pro 5.0 doesn't center itself like it used to." Point is, all shifters center great at first. What makes you think the MGW won't break down like the rest? Not hating, just saying.

I've had my Pro 5.0 for 7 or 8 years and it still centers great. It can be a little notchy driving around town though. I've verified that twice now by reinstalling the factory Hurst and it is much smoother than the Pro. However, I still prefer the Pro 5.0 over the Hurst even with the notchiness due to how it confirms the gate you are in and how much faster I can shift under full throttle.

I think I'd be willing to give up the quicker shifts though as long as it wasn't alot slower and it was as easy to shift as the Hurst for the daily commute and still confirmed the gates well with shorter throws. I wish someone around me had one. Didn't think about the notchiness for the past 7 years until I saw this thread but now I'm aware of it when I drive it now.
Mine has been in the car for about 5k miles now and there is virtually no difference at all other than it actually being a tad easier to shift.

Also with the MGW, you do know what gear you are getting in. Its plain as day especially if you shift with the palm method.

Ive also been in two cars with a Pro 5.0 and if you think that is good centering action than youll be amazed with how the MGW acts. One car the shifter was 2-3 months old and the other it was like 3 years old and they both were about the same.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Again, the price is $200 plus shipping. Comes out to $210 total.

Reinstalled the #6 boot and its a TIGHT fight to get it under the console but it fits. Now my car is much quieter for sure. If you like to ride in a little bit of silence and dont like road noise keep it on the car. :lol

Meent, that makes total sense. I checked mine today and I had zero leakage. Can you adjust your stick up and down though? Mine has a lip machined into it so I cant move it any lower.
again would infer that that was posted before
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is really weird, check this out.

bballr4567's shifter:

MeentSS02's Shifter:

My Shifter:

They ALL have different bottoms.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is weird. I know they said they were trying to get the shifter to fit on the T56 better in our cars and that some had a very very slight fluid leak. However, he assured me that nothing is different with the actual shifter mechanism and that if you use RTV it wont leak.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like they are still refining the fitment some.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6pewter
Looks like they are still refining the fitment some.
With that said, I pulled off my console and I have zero leaking issues. Still looks brand new too.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yeah...I'd give them a call and ask. I didn't look close enough at mine to tell how it was really seated on there.

This is what mine looked like:

This shifter sounds great other than what someone said about it being so tall. Looking at that picture, I dont see any reason why you cant just cut the other end of the stick so that is slides further down into the clamp. If someone can do this and get it as short as the short stick I'll be ordering one very soon. My LSS and hurst shifter just dont cut it on the 2-3 quick shift.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, you can get any other stick to fit in the clamp.

Did you watch my video? The 2-3 shift is FAR shorter than anything and with the fact that you CANT shift back into 1 makes it even faster.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Jenson
This shifter sounds great other than what someone said about it being so tall. Looking at that picture, I dont see any reason why you cant just cut the other end of the stick so that is slides further down into the clamp. If someone can do this and get it as short as the short stick I'll be ordering one very soon. My LSS and hurst shifter just dont cut it on the 2-3 quick shift.
You should be able to do what you are saying with no problem whatsoever - personally, I like the height right where it is, but other people think it is too high. That would be a fairly easy work-around though.

I originally tried to seal mine with a gasket, and that didn't work. A few months ago I went back and replaced the gasket with RTV, and I haven't had a leak since.

Still very much enjoying my purchase. Maybe I should get around to selling my B&M one of these days...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's say someone is a noob to driving stick. Is it going to be an easier, more enjoyable learning experience for said noob to use a shifter such as this on their car over the stock setup? Or, is it something that will be more greatly appreciated by people who have a lot of experience driving stick?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Bull
Let's say someone is a noob to driving stick. Is it going to be an easier, more enjoyable learning experience for said noob to use a shifter such as this on their car over the stock setup? Or, is it something that will be more greatly appreciated by people who have a lot of experience driving stick?
I'd personally think you'd have a better experience driving a stock shifter first...the MGW has an awfully short throw that feels kinda unnatural at first.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd personally think you'd have a better experience driving a stock shifter first...the MGW has an awfully short throw that feels kinda unnatural at first.
This is what I need to know!

Of course, when you are just learning, will any type of shifter feel "natural?"
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Learn to appreciate the car for what it is stock and then make note of its short comings and try to improve them. The #1 thing most manual guys do is get a shifter. It was my first true mod and nothing else has made the car more enjoyable than it until I get some go fast mods.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks fella's. Yea watched the vid, to be honest my only reserve now is that it may be to street friendly. If that makes sense, I kinda like the notchy feeling of engagement the LSS added to my shifter. Then again Im the type that wonders why my spec 3 clutch feels like its stock and has less pedal pressure than a stock civic clutch.

I have also grown quite found of how low the height is and for street driving I can just shift on top with my palm leaving my arm on the rest. Great info for what seems to be a great shifter, thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It works great for the street and amazing on the strip. Its just that good IMHO. Call and ask MGW how thick the stick is to see if something else will fit. Im guessing that something will. If I had a good cutter, I would chop 1" off mine just so itll look better in the console not to make the shift shorter.

I say that the MGW is notchy but its very smooth. In other words, you can feel every gear and know where its at but its not like you have to force it to do anything. The 2-3 shift is so seemless its unreal. The centering helps make the 2-3 shift a no brainer.

If ya lived closer Id let you try mine out.

Quick Reply: MGW Fbody shifter!!