Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I can get the car there whenever. The sooner the better it sounds like. Shall we just postpone it to another date anyway? Let me know what everyone wants to do.
I wouldnt want that beautiful red SS out in the rain/snow/sleet. I really really really wanted Red when I was looking. Just got a deal I couldn't pass up.

Hey, ever get the deer thing figured out? Insurance take care of it?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M6WS6
I wouldnt want that beautiful red SS out in the rain/snow/sleet. I really really really wanted Red when I was looking. Just got a deal I couldn't pass up.

Hey, ever get the deer thing figured out? Insurance take care of it?
Yeah I hear ya there. I really don't want to take it out but if it isn't bad yet it shouldn't be a problem. We will see.

I haven't taken it to the insurance company yet or to get an estimate. I may wait on it. You can't notice it really unless you are up close on the car and looking for it. I hope some place can just fix the crack and I not need a whole new bumper cover.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Yeah I hear ya there. I really don't want to take it out but if it isn't bad yet it shouldn't be a problem. We will see.

I haven't taken it to the insurance company yet or to get an estimate. I may wait on it. You can't notice it really unless you are up close on the car and looking for it. I hope some place can just fix the crack and I not need a whole new bumper cover.
Either way you will have to get it painted. You could pry fix the bumper if it is small. I don't know how much one is, but really the only difference in price will be the bumper. Could get a new bumper, fix the one on the car and sell it too possibly.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your looking at around 700 for a new bumber - installed and painted. Just to paint the quarter panal on my trans am it was 300 ( strip prep and paint) and realighnment of my rear bumber/pipes. I think a new bumber goes for 400ish. It was a long time ago though so it could of changed in price. Well, just let me know on what the plans are for tommorow.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

I keep hearing ice, snow, and sleet. I'm not going to lie, if it was my car, and my choice, I would reschedule. I wouldn't want to chance wrecking the car for an intake swap, a blower or turbo install, maybe. But not a intake swap I wouldn't take mine out on snow or ice, I drove an 89 Camaro, then an 88 Iroc on snow for the last 8 years, I really don't suggest taking it out unless you have some weight in the back. I am kinda afraid of getting the car torn down, then getting nailed with the storm and ya getting stuck at my place. If you are still a die hard and want to do it. I will be there, but I think you should consider a different day. I am heading out of town on Sunday and won't be back for 2 weeks.

If it turns to just rain, and you guys want to go get drinks or something tomorrow night, just hit me up 515-240-0268. Nate.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:43 AM
9 Second Club

Sounds good to me Nate. Let's go ahead and reschedule. If we cant get it done in the next few weeks we can wait until spring time. I will give you a call tomorrow night if the roads are not bad. I am pretty hammered right now though , hah. Thanks for th e offered help all.

ANdy
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its pretty nasty out, just an FYI good call on the reschedule.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep..not a good day to travel at all. I keep hearing ice chips hit my window (extreamly small) and we already have a good inch of snow down right now..
Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Screamer27
I keep hearing ice, snow, and sleet. If it turns to just rain, and you guys want to go get drinks or something tomorrow night, just hit me up 515-240-0268. Nate.

Hey there Nate, excuse the intrusion.....you don't happen to have EFI live capabilities there in your shop, do you?....or access to a decent dyno in the immediate area of Dsm/Johnston/Polk cnty?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

I do have EFI live but its a really, really old version, and it doesn't currently work on my laptop. I do have Ls1edit, but vin locked. The best dyno in town is propably lund motors in waukee. Midstate machine has one, but everything I have heard is they don't know what they are doing with it. Ws6store has a dyno, but its not setup, its all in storage.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I do have EFI live but its a really, really old version, and it doesn't currently work on my laptop. I do have Ls1edit, but vin locked. The best dyno in town is propably lund motors in waukee. Midstate machine has one, but everything I have heard is they don't know what they are doing with it. Ws6store has a dyno, but its not setup, its all in storage.

Ok guy, thanks for the info. That Ws6store you mentioned, isn't that the one in Norwalk? I recall having read something about their getting a dyno set up "some day".

This town....hell this STATE needs a decent dyno and tuner as well as some good LSx mechanics. It's good to know about your shop....knowledge like that could certainly come in handy sometime.

Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Midstate machine should stick to machining - not dynoing. Its an older fella in his garage with an extension for funny dragsters. I went there once and he didnt attempt to set up a fan for cool down. Let alone its all ground level so its not getting the air where it needs to be for a dyno pull. Cant wait for WS6store to setup shop
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if I would really call it a shop. Its more just a 4 car garage with alot of tools. Its actually my parents house. I used to be a GM tech for 4+ years so I have all of my tools over there. Plus its heated and has a/c. Right now my TA is in the back halfassly hibernating, in the front half the Monte SS sits with an oil leak that needs fixed, and next to the monte is my friends 86 Iroc that is on a rotissiory. When we go to work on something we usually move both cars out of the front garage so you have quite the room to work. Any given weekend there could be a motor job, a tranny job or just about anything going on till the wee hours of the morning. Usually its just a group of guys bull shittin' about cars, and attempting(if alcohol is involved) to work on something.

DarkHalf has seen it, not the best place in the world, but it gets the job done. Speaking of that, how is the ball joint holding up Josh?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

DarkHalf has seen it, not the best place in the world, but it gets the job done. Speaking of that, how is the ball joint holding up Josh?
Ball joint?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

Nate, next time alcohol is involved, you know who to call!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

The left rear of your vette. I remember that lower ball joint being a bitch, and I thought we slit the boot on it. I was wondering if it is making any noise.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wheel bearing is what we replaced Its quiet as can be.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This last storm didnt get nearly as bad as what it was made to be - it was pretty slushy though..
Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Could have been worse. A guy I work with went into work, took him 2 hours from Urbandale to Ames to get back home. Glad I hung at the appt for the day!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
9 Second Club

I was expecting more. I drove from Des Moines to Perry and the highways were perfectly fine. Of course it had been raining for a while though. It would have been a lot cooler if it would have fallen in the form of snow. There would be a lot of it. Not that I like snow all that much, but it can be fun sometimes.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?