Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF people... whats a good field to cross train into???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AF people... whats a good field to cross train into???

right now im in south dakota i am a B-1b crew chief, im in a waiting list for my CJR @ #25 on the list, my DOS is november 2007, if i dont get an approved CJR, what are some good jobs to cross train into??
Old 10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well dude your a crew chief so im sure you should already know what not to sign up for. Im a Crew chief too and no ******* way would I do it again. I had a few ex troops of mine run into your situation. They either went ATC, contracting, flt chamber (I dont know what its called operator? Or they got out. I hope you took advantage of the free school that the mil gave you. One guy I know got out and is building propane tanks and hating life right now. I know some other guys that went to the Army. One of my other friends wen tto be a MTL at sheppard I think his mom was a Chief so he had the hook up. But if you want to stay in bad and cannot get a job go for something that is a special duty from what I see it seems to work. Laters
Old 10-29-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

whatever you do DO NOT DO SECURITY FORCES IT FREAKN BLOWS but the field is always open
Old 10-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Stu
TECH Resident

Flight Engineer. I was originally maintenance and switched.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The past couple of guys we got here have been either ex weapons or crew chiefs thta have cross trained in to firefighting
Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Go Aircrew, you'll never look back.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAiry
Go Aircrew, you'll never look back.

Agreed, the Ops side of the house is so much nicer... i would list a specific position, but the AF is going in the direction of one career enlisted aviator career field anyways, flight pay is good, travel is good, and if you are still new, most flying career fields still have SRB's
Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i work with 1A3's on the E4-B i'd say do that or be a sensor operator(or something like that 1A4 i guess) they seem to have a cool job. shitty thing is you're going to crosstrain into a job that has alot of points from medals where you might not so you need to test alot higher than the rest. i'm here on special duty so i get alot of points (plus i get wings) where the rest of the satcom guys are left behind.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i am a 1A3 at macdill, recently left omaha for the job down here
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the same boat, I'm Egress and I put in my crosstrain package a lil bit ago. flight engineer and loadmaster were the only two I got approved for, I guess they filled up the slots for weather and physical therapist before I was approved... But good luck... Can't imagine anything being worse then a crew cheif...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
I'm in the same boat, I'm Egress and I put in my crosstrain package a lil bit ago. flight engineer and loadmaster were the only two I got approved for, I guess they filled up the slots for weather and physical therapist before I was approved... But good luck... Can't imagine anything being worse then a crew cheif...
A Cop is worst! nothing like waiting hours and hours for no one to come. That would suck ***!
I was thinking about FE load or boom but after I heard that they are pilots bitches **** that. I aint gonna **** with that. I heard of a boom that filed travel vouchers for the pilots on a tanker. What a fucken dumb ***. THey get paid more they should do their own ****. THey can eat a ****** dick.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

go AGE "Aerospace Ground Equipment"!!! jack of all trades
Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea age wouldn't be too bad, afterall once you get out you can get a job at just about any airport, but i don't know if there's any slots available...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by underatedT/A
go AGE "Aerospace Ground Equipment"!!! jack of all trades
DINSTAAR Ok AGE Ranger! JK
A Crew Chief is a "jack of all trades" man! We have to know all the other specialties stuff for acft. Which is BS I think they should get rid of the Crew Chief career field and combine Hyd jets and whatever the hell crew chiefs do. SInce we got to know that **** anyway. Now a days all a crew chief is for is someone to blame is your jet is fucked up or something iss wrong with it.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
DINSTAAR Ok AGE Ranger! JK
A Crew Chief is a "jack of all trades" man! We have to know all the other specialties stuff for acft. Which is BS I think they should get rid of the Crew Chief career field and combine Hyd jets and whatever the hell crew chiefs do. SInce we got to know that **** anyway. Now a days all a crew chief is for is someone to blame is your jet is fucked up or something iss wrong with it.

DUDE! I just left the UK. I lived on 29 Turnpike Road there in Red Lodge. The house next to the doctors office and before the heath on the left. Land lord sold it and now someone is really fixing it up. I'm here in Mt. Home now and kinda wanting to go back.

Hey guys, I'm an F-15 crew chief and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I have gone on more that 20 TDY's/deployments from Alaska to Singapore, Korea, Australia for a month, the PI etc etc etc. Yea, we work long hours in the weather but I work with some fantastic guys and our supervision takes care of us. Are there better jobs out there? Yea probably. But I love what I do and I think I'm pretty good at it (I won the Leo Marquez award for NCO in 2005). I worked at 48th EMS in Phase and it was a blast. I don't speak for all crew chiefs but I love my job!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go FE or load on a C-130! Totally integral to the crewdog mindset.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Weather is usually open also. We always had lots of retrainees. It is a dwindling career field. 24/7 ops at most places, so shift work. The one thing some like about weather is that the USAF also does all of the Army's weather support, so it opens up assignments to numerous Army installations. Some folks really enjoy Army support. There is also special op's (Paraweather).
Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

HAHAH....B1 Crew Chief here at Dyess. For me its a coin toss. Sometimes I like my job other times I cant wait to get into something new. I get some cool tdy's every now and then and most of the guys I work with are great. Most of us are into cars too so there are few of us here on tech.

Right now I'm on that NCORP maditory cross training list. I have submited all my papper work and I'm cool if I get a job or not. The main one I put in for was fire protection. I also just submitted for a MTL position at Lackland. I like San Antonio so it would be cool to be stationed there. I should find out something in the next month or 3 weeks or so. PRAY FOR ME!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I was staioned at Ellsworth and did B1 support for 2 years. Went to Roswell for 30 days when Congress said we needed to "assess" the B1. What a garden spot Ellsworth and Roswell are
Old 11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a 1C5, Aerospace control and warning.

AVOID THIS CAREER FIELD AT ALL COSTS. YOU WILL -NOT- GET TO FLY ON AWACS!

Quick Reply: AF people... whats a good field to cross train into???