Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The Offical Roof Bubble Thread

Does your 1998 to 2002 Fbody have this annoying problem? The sail panel(on t-top cars) or the entire roof(on hardtops) has a factory defect. If you park your car out in the sun, little bubbles about the size of a pinhead start appearing on the roof. Some cars have lots of these little buggers on their tops. Some people have had these little bubbles pop the clearcoat.

This problem is caused by the glue used to hold the plastic roof on. The glue degasses and the gas travels up through the panel. Eventually it leaves these nice little bubbles in your paint. GM issued a TSB on the issue.

GM TSB

I personally think that this is total bullshit on GM's part. There should be a recall on this. GM is paying for some people's repair and not others. The dealership told me I was SOL, and I got a quote to fix it for $880. My car is reguarly waxed and garaged its entire life. Total bullshit.

I'm wondering if we would have enough people on this board with this problem to form a class action suit against GM. If there are any lawyers in the room, feel free to chime in with your opinion.

There is also a thread on this in the apperance section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
I thought I might reach more people in the lounge though.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 t top car and this is the first I have ever heard of it. I don't have that problem because my car is garaged and almost never sitting out, but I would be going nuts if my roof bubbled up like that.

Edit...is this also why so many TAs and t top Z28s are now running around with black roofs?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Mine has 3 small ones never went to the dealership about it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
Edit...is this also why so many TAs and t top Z28s are now running around with black roofs?
All 98-02 LS1 powered F-bods came stock with black tops unless they were special program cars like cop cars.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Not an issue on my car.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by giant016
All 98-02 LS1 powered F-bods came stock with black tops unless they were special program cars like cop cars.
You're right about that for t top Zs, I don't know what I was thinking. The TA roofs are always body color though, and it seems like quite a few people have been painting that panel black recently.

Last edited by flyin red TA; 04-27-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: i can't spell
Old 04-27-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

My roof is just about the worst one I've ever seen. I have multiple spots that are now oozing glue, but the dealership near me said they won't fix it because I haven't been bringing it there for maintenance and now it's at nearly 100000 miles. They said if they had a service history, they might consider it, but since it has so many miles and they've only worked on it twice (water pump and VATS), they won't help me.

Never mind the fact that we bought a whole ******* EQUINOX from them...

-Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Does your 1998 to 2002 Fbody have this annoying problem? The sail panel(on t-top cars) or the entire roof(on hardtops) has a factory defect. If you park your car out in the sun, little bubbles about the size of a pinhead start appearing on the roof. Some cars have lots of these little buggers on their tops. Some people have had these little bubbles pop the clearcoat.

This problem is caused by the glue used to hold the plastic roof on. The glue degasses and the gas travels up through the panel. Eventually it leaves these nice little bubbles in your paint. GM issued a TSB on the issue.

GM TSB

I personally think that this is total bullshit on GM's part. There should be a recall on this. GM is paying for some people's repair and not others. The dealership told me I was SOL, and I got a quote to fix it for $880. My car is reguarly waxed and garaged its entire life. Total bullshit.

I'm wondering if we would have enough people on this board with this problem to form a class action suit against GM. If there are any lawyers in the room, feel free to chime in with your opinion.

There is also a thread on this in the apperance section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
I thought I might reach more people in the lounge though.
My fiance and myself both had our cars fixed 2 yrs ago. It's covered up to 100K miles.

If you are on the TSB, you should be covered. Here is my info on this deal from 2 yrs ago with the TSB # and part number.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=63209

Last edited by racer88; 04-27-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

i have em...i TRY to ignore it since i know GM wont do **** about it and im not gonna pay an arm and leg to fix them...oh ya and im a hard top so its only gonna get a lot worst probably
Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pSSycotic
i have em...i TRY to ignore it since i know GM wont do **** about it and im not gonna pay an arm and leg to fix them...oh ya and im a hard top so its only gonna get a lot worst probably
Well at least try to get the stealership to fix it. You might get lucky.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

ya true but with 65,xxx miles i doubt they will do ****
Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

This issue IS covered by GM up to 100K miles!!

You guys are obviously dealing with service writers whom to no surprise have NO ******* clue about a body shop issued TSB, or car Dealers who don't want to waste their time waiting to be reimbursed on a warranty claim on an old car.

If you all can't get a dealer to fix this, then contact GM and then file with the BBB regardless if you have a powertrain warranty or not this is covered by the rust throughportion of your original GM warranty.

Rust through, same thing defective material causing damage. TSB's are NOT recalls, however they are service info of 'how to' for numerous comlaints collected for cars having the same issue. Recalls generally affect safety related issues, had they not you think GM, Ford etc would tell you? HELL no, you think an auto maker wants to use the world RECALL? Only when they absolutely have to.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

It took me 3 1/2 months of going to the dealership once a week to get them to finally replace my roof with 45k miles on my car. I dealt with the VP of the dealership (owners brother) and he was in contact with the regional GM rep. GM rep denied payment for the fix, but the dealership ended up replacing the roof at their expense. My advice to anyone with this problem is be persistent. Don't take no for an answer. Contact GM, the BBB, and anyone else you think might listen. Good luck
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I was one of the ones that just gave up. I have had so many things go wrong with this car and none of them did GM cover except the alternator. The rest of course I caused . I actualy rolled the window down too much I was told.

I took this in to where I bought it (Texas) and the body shop guy said I am SOL. Yes I agree with all the above so maybe now I should take it local to Baltimore shop and see what happens. Anyone local to Towson and have knowledge of a GM shop that they consider reasonable about issues like this?

Jolly
Old 04-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jolly
I was one of the ones that just gave up.
Had I given up against GM I'd still be driving a white 2000 T/A instead of a blue 2001 WS6 after they told me they don't buy back cars.........well they did
Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Launching!

My Camaro looks like it has the feakin mumps!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
You're right about that for t top Zs, I don't know what I was thinking. The TA roofs are always body color though, and it seems like quite a few people have been painting that panel black recently.
I never noticed that the LS1 T/A sails were body color. There's so many V6 Camaros around here that I assumed all the T/As I see with body colored sail panels were sixbangers too.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently started getting bubbles. My car was perfectly fine then out of know were 2 small bubbles formed on each side of the sail panel. If I ever have the time to put the car down for them to fix it I will give it a shot but its my DD.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have it but dosnt bother me, hard top btw
Old 04-30-2006, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racer88
This issue IS covered by GM up to 100K miles!!

You guys are obviously dealing with service writers whom to no surprise have NO ******* clue about a body shop issued TSB, or car Dealers who don't want to waste their time waiting to be reimbursed on a warranty claim on an old car.

If you all can't get a dealer to fix this, then contact GM and then file with the BBB regardless if you have a powertrain warranty or not this is covered by the rust throughportion of your original GM warranty.

Rust through, same thing defective material causing damage. TSB's are NOT recalls, however they are service info of 'how to' for numerous comlaints collected for cars having the same issue. Recalls generally affect safety related issues, had they not you think GM, Ford etc would tell you? HELL no, you think an auto maker wants to use the world RECALL? Only when they absolutely have to.
You have to be the original owner of the car; correct? Because I am the third owner. Oh yeah mine is doing it as well.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?