Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Killer thread.. Just did temp fix in about 10 mins without removing cover.. just removed the 10 mm nut, popped the arm off, manually adjusted 180 deg and put back together.. Thanks for info
Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I get link to those replacement connector part numbers?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Help!! The passenger side headlight motor on my car took a dump. I ordered the brass gear and changed it myself. Now when my drivers side headlight pops up, my passenger goes down (with the light on). When I turn my headlights off and the drivers side goes down, the passenger side pops up (with the lights off). It's like theyre the complete opposite when it comes to going up and down. The light portion works fine, the going up and down is whats the complete opposite. All my wiring is good because I marked where the wires went originally to the new stuff. This has had me baffled for over a week now. My last result is to either take it to a stealership and get raped or take it to an automotive electrician and get raped.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I'd share an idea for those who may be having trouble sealing the gear covers on their motors. File down the tower like protrusions on the casing on the side where the nuts attach to the bolts until the protrusions are shorter then the height of the cover, then add washers to the stock bolts on the nut side. The clamping force of the washers will hold the gear cover in place. Like so:

Name:  DSC03124.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  152.7 KB

Name:  DSC03126.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  142.5 KB

BTW does anyone know where I can get headlight hinge bearings like I talked about in post 1140? Again they look like this:

Name:  DSC03108.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  71.4 KB

And go here:

Name:  DSC03104marked.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  89.7 KB

Again I ask, does anyone know what type of grease should be used on the headlight motor gear?

Please help me out, I really need to get my car working properly.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-22-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

My drivers side was working. I pulled my passanger side Headlight motor since it didnt flip up. I checked my Passanger headlight motor on a car battery & spins. So I changed out the plastic gears for Billet gears. I reinstalled the passanger headlight motor & hooked it back up & turned the lights on & only the drivers side motor would run.

So baffled I unplugged the drivers side connector to the headlight & tried turning the lights on to confirm its not the motor & neither headlight flipped up.

So I plug the drivers connector back in & turn the headlights back on & now neither will flip up.

I checked both fuse's under the hood for the Headlight motors. Both are 15 amp fuses & both fuse's look fine.

Im running out of things to check. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am still having problems as well. Seem to be getting power to motor. If put power directly and reverse it to the drivers side it works. But plug things in and it don't work. So far bought new headlight motor,keeping it as spare I guess non returnable.Have got another module coming but swapped out one and no change still drivers side is not working passenger is.
My connectors seem ok. My fuses are ok reversed them no help.
No idea whats causing the problem and its really really annoying me. Car is going to have to pass a safety in BC sooner or later and it won't pass don't think if have to put up the headlight manually.
Very annoying!
are there any additional relays or something besides the module that can cause one not to work. I guess maybe slight chance its the headlight switch in the dash? Maybe connector off it or something but as said pretty sure have power to the drivers side healight.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

I just pulled my drivers motor. I think I stripped the gears worse in it with on trying to manually turn the headlight up since I was turning it the wrong way. Talk about a PITA. The drivers side SUPER SUCKS getting it out.

Their should be a joint suit to sue GM for this design flaw. I could see it happening once with the 3rd gen T/As, But GM just ran the same setup in the 4th gen body style.

I went ahead & used the washer trick with the bolts to clamp the plastic piece back over the gears to close it up. I had to use super glue & hope it stays this time. This is my 3rd time trying to glue this shut & everytime I install the motor on the car. It just pops open & thus the motor doesnt work.

Knock on wood I dont have electric problems like I hear everyone else having with their Headlight control panel.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to jinx you but I seriously doubt super glue will hold. I'd say you have less than a week at best. Even most off the shelf epoxies won't hold the motor cover. The only thing I've used that worked was this:

This is Hardman 4001 BG10 epoxy. Incredibly strong stuff. Begins to harden in less than 2 minutes. When your epoxy is hot to the touch while setting you know its strong.

I would also use the washer trick just for good measure, then your cover should be held on very well.

To you guys have swapped to metal gears and are still having problems: I've been told recently by a GM service department manager that there are other components in the motor which are plastic besides the large gear. So the downside to using metal gears is that you may be wearing down those components. That may be the source of your problems.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-24-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Not trying to jinx you but I seriously doubt super glue will hold. I'd say you have less than a week at best. Even most off the shelf epoxies won't hold the motor cover. The only thing I've used that worked was this:

This is Hardman 4001 BG10 epoxy. Incredibly strong stuff. Begins to harden in less than 2 minutes. When your epoxy is hot to the touch while setting you know its strong.

I would also use the washer trick just for good measure, then your cover should be held on very well.

To you guys have swapped to metal gears and are still having problems: I've been told recently by a GM service department manager that there are other components in the motor which are plastic besides the large gear. So the downside to using metal gears is that you may be wearing down those components. That may be the source of your problems.
Took your advice & used the Epoxy. Going to let it dry overnight before I try installing both headlight motors. I just hope I have no more problems after this. I installed Aluminum gears & epoxyed them closed with Vice Grips.

My question is when I put the gears in the case, How do I know the gears are setup to open the headlights. Do I need to posistion or turn the gears to a correct posistion or can I just leave them both shut & reset it by pulling the Headlight fuse's?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SEB
Took your advice & used the Epoxy. Going to let it dry overnight before I try installing both headlight motors. I just hope I have no more problems after this. I installed Aluminum gears & epoxyed them closed with Vice Grips.

My question is when I put the gears in the case, How do I know the gears are setup to open the headlights. Do I need to posistion or turn the gears to a correct posistion or can I just leave them both shut & reset it by pulling the Headlight fuse's?
I don't understand your question.

The position of the gear doesn't matter and its going to change anyway when you turn the motor manually to put the headlight back together. Turn the motor one way and the headlight opens, turn the motor the other way and it closes there is no way to install it backwards, the motor will not fit in place any other way.

The only advice I have as far as gear position goes is to remember that the gear mounted shaft on the left and right are different, don't get them mixed up. Also remember that the shaft on either side should be oriented towards the inside of the car. If you mess either of these up you will find yourself taking your motors apart again, scraping off old epoxy and starting over.

Also, when installing the arm that connects to the end of the shaft that comes out of the motor remember that the end of the arm is installed facing the front of the car. There is a video on the front page of the thread I found useful if you're still having doubts about this. If you install this arm on backwards (and it is possible to do so) your headlight articulation will be very limited. It will not close and probably won't open completely either. Good luck.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-24-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Epoxy seem to have held the plastic piece shut on the Headlight motors.

When I go to plug in the drivers side side & turn the lights on, The headlight motor doesnt spin. Before it would work & the headlight would come up with the grinding noise of course. But it worked. Now it seems it isnt getting any power to the motor at all on the drivers headlight, I plug in the passanger side & the motor spins on it.

Any ideas. I swear I hate these headlights, Its enough to sell the damn car, aggravating
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Is the motor gear cover still on? The force of the motor turning is strong enough to pull the cover off if the epoxy wasn't cured or strong enough. If that happens the motor won't work.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Is the motor gear cover still on? The force of the motor turning is strong enough to pull the cover off if the epoxy wasn't cured or strong enough. If that happens the motor won't work.
yes I cut the wires on both motors & hooked the postive & negative side up to my battery & both motors spin

I wonder if the control module is bad, Also if so where is the control module located at on our cars?

There is a guy local parting out a firebird so I will go snag that control module, Just need to know where its located
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Also yes Epoxy is holding. But I also didnt mount the motors. I am changing out my front clip & this is why im working on these headlight motors.

I just plug the motors in to the pigtail & still only drivers side spins and nothing on passanger
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

OK I have power to both motors! WOOHOO. Making progress. Going to mount them & report back
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

OK just want to make sure I dont have these reversed. I have the LH motor when standing in front of the car on the left side, The drivers RH motor on the right side WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CAR.

Do I have these reversed or is this right?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ You have those reversed. RH means right hand side, as in right side when sitting in the drivers seat, aka passenger side. LH means left hand side as in left hand side from the drivers perspective, aka drivers side.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Help!! The passenger side headlight motor on my car took a dump. I ordered the brass gear and changed it myself. Now when my drivers side headlight pops up, my passenger goes down (with the light on). When I turn my headlights off and the drivers side goes down, the passenger side pops up (with the lights off). It's like theyre the complete opposite when it comes to going up and down. The light portion works fine, the going up and down is whats the complete opposite. All my wiring is good because I marked where the wires went originally to the new stuff. This has had me baffled for over a week now. My last result is to either take it to a stealership and get raped or take it to an automotive electrician and get raped.
well, I replaced the Headlight Control Module and it is still messing up. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it??
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
well, I replaced the Headlight Control Module and it is still messing up. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it??
Perhaps reversing the wiring?

That is a really strange problem though. I'd have an electrical shop look at it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Perhaps reversing the wiring?

That is a really strange problem though. I'd have an electrical shop look at it.
Ive tried reversing the wiring. Ive tried replacing the pig tails from the HIDs. Ive tried just about everything. Nothing seems to work. I will most likely take it to an auto electrician and get raped.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE