Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C6Z vs. 500hp Turbo S2k (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
They just dumbed down the launch control to lessen the chance of blowing the transmission. Thats not "fixing" the issue, its the same piece of junk transmission. Its also been chided for being clunky and unrefined in traffic. For $85K+ it can't even match VW's DSG for smoothness, real accomplishment Nissan.
Neighbor down the street from my parents has a GTR. Love it in the Titanium Metallic color, but I wouldn't want to have gone through 2 transmission like he has in his 12,000 mile ownership. He said he is going to sell the car as soon as the warranty on it is almost up for that very reason and is looking at a C6Z to "try something new"
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Launching!

some of you made some great points.....btw...my spelling/grammer is horrible at best...no denying it..lol. to me stock for stock matters a lot..it's the companies best effort at a certain price point...They put so much RandD into it and at the same time have to comply with so many rules and regulations that its amazeiing they can achieave what they do...

once you add mods...well it's just not a fair comparison anymore...

a Z06 with a tune goes from 450 rwhp to 470 rwhp..A GTR with a tune goes from 420 awhp to 520 awhp..

its just no longer apples to apples at that point...
Put agressive heads and a cam on a LS1 and you go from 300 rwhp to 475 rwhp...Put agressive heads and cam on a 370Z and you go from 290 rwhp to 375 rwhp...
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Neighbor down the street from my parents has a GTR. Love it in the Titanium Metallic color, but I wouldn't want to have gone through 2 transmission like he has in his 12,000 mile ownership. He said he is going to sell the car as soon as the warranty on it is almost up for that very reason and is looking at a C6Z to "try something new"
Did Nissan at least cover one of those transmissions or did they just tell him to pound sand and pay out of pocket??

He'll like the C6Z, its actually a real sports car!! Much better all around performance, quality, and driveability, and the interior doesn't look like something out of an 80's video game
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Again good point..whats the point of an AWD launch if your afraid to do it because it might break???
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I can't understand for the life of me why Nissan didn't offer a manual option for the GTR! It's a sports car that has made a name for itself by being a DRIVERS CAR! Not an autopiloted boat anchor!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killemall
a Z06 with a tune goes from 450 rwhp to 470 rwhp..A GTR with a tune goes from 420 awhp to 520 awhp..
And your point is...what?? If the transmission can't handle the stock 420WHP, how well do you think its going to hold up under 520WHP??

Probably about this well, perhaps worse:

Not to mention your warranty is completely voided by a tune, and if the engine blows (very possible) you're out approximately about half the cost of the entire car for a new motor. Worth it?? Not unless you're a millionare, and I would hope someone who has aquired millions would be smart enough to buy a better car than the GTR. Like a 911 Turbo. Or Corvette Z06. Or Dodge Viper. Or damn near any other car for that matter except for the GTR.

its just no longer apples to apples at that point...
Put agressive heads and a cam on a LS1 and you go from 300 rwhp to 475 rwhp...Put agressive heads and cam on a 370Z and you go from 290 rwhp to 375 rwhp...
Once again...sorry but not seeing your point here...
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did Nissan at least cover one of those transmissions or did they just tell him to pound sand and pay out of pocket??

He'll like the C6Z, its actually a real sports car!! Much better all around performance, quality, and driveability, and the interior doesn't look like something out of an 80's video game
Nissan covered the first one with no problems. The second one he had to haggle them and threatened a lawsuit (he is a lawyer lol). Real cool guy though. He has an old school 1991 Porsche Carrera also. Definitely an import guy but he said he loved the new z06's after he test drove one. We developed a good friendship from days and days over the summer washing cars and he finally came up to me and started asking me questions about my car, etc. Then he showed me his Porsche and GT-R

Originally Posted by Killemall
Again good point..whats the point of an AWD launch if your afraid to do it because it might break???
Agreed

warranty is completely voided by a tune
Neighbor also was told by the dealer after-market exhaust completely voids the warranty for the car
Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nissan covered the first one with no problems. The second one he had to haggle them and threatened a lawsuit (he is a lawyer lol). Real cool guy though. He has an old school 1991 Porsche Carrera also. Definitely an import guy but he said he loved the new z06's after he test drove one. We developed a good friendship from days and days over the summer washing cars and he finally came up to me and started asking me questions about my car, etc. Then he showed me his Porsche and GT-R
Sounds like he got lucky then, being a lawyer is always a plus in that case!! If you're not a lawyer and not rich, you can expect to be paying out of pocket, thats for sure.

Neighbor also was told by the dealer after-market exhaust completely voids the warranty for the car
Correct. On what basis I don't know, but they've been getting away with it.

Check out this guy's story, ridiculous:

GTR Forum Blown Trans not covered, $28,000 cost to owner
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
***Repost Police***

The issue itself was not fixed. They just dumbed down the launch control to lessen the chance of blowing the transmission. Thats not "fixing" the issue, its the same piece of junk transmission.
They "dumbed down" the launch control, and the car was quicker because of it. And I haven't heard about any blown transmission since then.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
They "dumbed down" the launch control, and the car was quicker because of it. And I haven't heard about any blown transmission since then.
The car isn't "quicker" with a less aggressive launch. Stop making up bullshit like always.

Nobody cares what you've "heard of", they still have issues. Plenty of people have blown transmissions without even using launch control, do some research before you post.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM

I am a GTRRRRR owner and as one I'd classify it against the lambo, Ferrari, GT3 performance wise of course. As for looks not really but GTR doesn't cost nearly as much as a lambo or Ferrari, so what do you except but I still think it sweet. I have 750whp with NO trans work done. I put on 5000 miles 25% of that which was running it hard. So I agree the trans needs some work but take the % of how many were produced compared to how many trans blew. I don't know the answer but willing to bet its small %. How many modified cars from any make, puttin down high hp doesn't need trans work done? My trans is still gold. As for comfort I had a 05 BMW 530 before and the GTR is way more comfortable driving. I rode in RSKY ZO6 and GTR still more comfortable.
GTR FTW!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

And your point is...what?? If the transmission can't handle the stock 420WHP, how well do you think its going to hold up under 520WHP??
it will hold just fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tjsp...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_TICQKt1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDprOt8FUFM

http://www.streetfire.net/video/r35-...mph_683087.htm

Not to mention your warranty is completely voided by a tune.
well its the same with corvettes... the first thing GM will check when it comes to warranty is the Tune. if the car is tuned then they will void your warranty.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Nice Kill OP!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noobinator
I am a GTRRRRR owner and as one I'd classify it against the lambo, Ferrari, GT3 performance wise of course. As for looks not really but GTR doesn't cost nearly as much as a lambo or Ferrari, so what do you except but I still think it sweet. I have 750whp with NO trans work done. I put on 5000 miles 25% of that which was running it hard. So I agree the trans needs some work but take the % of how many were produced compared to how many trans blew. I don't know the answer but willing to bet its small %. How many modified cars from any make, puttin down high hp doesn't need trans work done? My trans is still gold. As for comfort I had a 05 BMW 530 before and the GTR is way more comfortable driving. I rode in RSKY ZO6 and GTR still more comfortable.
GTR FTW!
You can classify your car as whatever you want, hell you can tell us it flies if you want, its still doesn't mean jack ****. Your car is not in the same league as a Lambo, Ferrari, or GT3. Its a fat, overpriced Nissan with a boosted 350Z engine. Get off your high horse.

I love the excuses you make, be serious. Nissan hasn't sold many GTRs, so the proportion of them that have blown transmissions is quite large. Believe what you want, the truth is that its a serious problem. You are basically just bragging about being lucky that yours didn't blow.

Corvettes and GT500s will run 8 second 1/4 miles on the stock Tremec TR6060. The 6L90E holds up just fine behind the 557HP CTS-V, which has much more power and weighs more than the GTR. Nissan can't engineer an engine or transmission to save their own lives, they are a joke.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
it will hold just fine...
You can post all the videos in the world, it doesn't change the fact that a large number of transmissions have blown up and Nissan will not warranty them. Simple fact.

well its the same with corvettes... the first thing GM will check when it comes to warranty is the Tune. if the car is tuned then they will void your warranty.
GM will not void the warranty on your transmission or differential for having an aftermarket tune. They will also not void your warranty for turning off the traction or stability control. Nissan is a joke, you spend almost $90K on a "performance" car and they void your warranty of you disable traction control

Looks like the fanboys have arrived....what else is new.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, the guy with the H/C/I C6 Z06 and the cammed '10 Camaro SS is a GT-R fanboy...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

And just like that it goes to the same **** that Wesman usually spews.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, the guy with the H/C/I C6 Z06 and the cammed '10 Camaro SS is a GT-R fanboy...
I wasn't referring to him genius.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

You can post all the videos in the world, it doesn't change the fact that a large number of transmissions have blown up and Nissan will not warranty them. Simple fact.
can you please post the number of transmissions that have blown up....!!

GM will not void the warranty on your transmission or differential for having an aftermarket tune.
oh yea?? tell that to the dealerships I went to to get my tranny fixed under warranty. I ended up buying a level 4 built t56.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9DEfd8BnV4

Nissan is a joke, you spend almost $90K on a "performance" car and they void your warranty of you disable traction control
you do know that after they got the new tune, you can use your launch control and not lose your warranty. this was true when they first came out but after the updated tune you can disable your traction control and use your launch control without worrying about your warranty.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM
***Repost Police***

I wasn't referring to him genius.
Might want to specify then, since you were talking to him in that post. Twice.
Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
can you please post the number of transmissions that have blown up....!!

oh yea?? tell that to the dealerships I went to to get my tranny fixed under warranty. I ended up buying a level 4 built t56.

you do know that after they got the new tune, you can use your launch control and not lose your warranty. this was true when they first came out but after the updated tune you can disable your traction control and use your launch control without worrying about your warranty.
Stop wasting his time with your personal experience and logical thought process!

Quick Reply: C6Z vs. 500hp Turbo S2k (vid)