Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

M6 Roll Race Techniques... what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default M6 Roll Race Techniques... what's yours?

Is taching/ rev matching better than simply gunning it in gear? I'm not talking about downshifting here, I'm talking about the actual initial jump from a roll, in the proper gear.

Say, for example, I'm at 65mph (great place for me).
If I would leave it in 3rd, and just punch it at 65mph, the jump is not as dramatic as the jolt encountered when coasting at 65mph with the clutch pressed in (not in gear), taching the revs up to 4500rpms, and dumping the clutch, then going WOT.

Is the seemingly stronger surge from the rev-match method simply and purely the driveline jolt? I actually feel that the car "jumps" forward when this method is used. It's like a mule kick in the ***.

This could seem very amateur of me to ask, but then again, I am an amateur.

Your 2 cents wanted, all methods and at all speeds (i.e, 20, 40 mph rolls...).

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do what i call my 'upper deck launch' from a 45 roll

basically at 2.25 honks, both feet go to the floor, at 2.95 honks, my left foot comes up rapidly.

As you saw from the supra video, it usually results in about a 1 car jump right off the bat
Old 05-02-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, I usually rev up the engine then dump the clutch...feels like it makes the car sprint forward a bit. Also, I'll cruise along in the gear directly above the one I plan on launching in, then just before the last honk, I put the clutch to the floor, downshift and rev, then dump the clutch...that way I can maintain the correct speed until we go.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, it depends, at 60 id be in 2nd, but not with the clutch in, if u rev then dump, thats loses traction, 3rd gear, like 70 plus....yea, id say rev then dump, but not too high, dont really wanna lose traction, thats the worst part, i wouldn't rev lower than 3rd gear
Old 05-02-2004, 09:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HOSS
yea, it depends, at 60 id be in 2nd, but not with the clutch in, if u rev then dump, thats loses traction, 3rd gear, like 70 plus....yea, id say rev then dump, but not too high, dont really wanna lose traction, thats the worst part, i wouldn't rev lower than 3rd gear
With Drag Radials, anything above 1st gear has plenty of grip in my case, so 2nd gear dumps are fine too.

Keep 'em coming. This is educational.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 05-02-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Are you guys serious, you actually do clutch dumps on roll races??!! OMFG!! I hate to admit it, but all of you are defenitely f-in amateurs, and will be breaking **** very soon!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UnbelievabLS1
Are you guys serious, you actually do clutch dumps on roll races??!! OMFG!! I hate to admit it, but all of you are defenitely f-in amateurs, and will be breaking **** very soon!!!!!!
What do you do then? Please educate us "f-in" amateurs.
By the way, I'm not too concerned about breaking my Moser 9", Heavy Duty Driveshaft or Spec III Clutch, I just want to know what jump method is more effective.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 05-02-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

I just hammer it in gear. I am too poor to break my stock clutch. I never get the chance to race any fast cars though so it doesnt really matter. Hoping to get some good races this summer.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Say, for example, I'm at 65mph (great place for me).
If I would leave it in 3rd, and just punch it at 65mph, the jump is not as dramatic as the jolt encountered when coasting at 65mph with the clutch pressed in (not in gear), taching the revs up to 4500rpms, and dumping the clutch, then going WOT.
Hmm... sounds almost like what you would do in a double clutch... That should make a difference if you can hit the gas and dump the clutch to get power before the revs go down too much... Though, if you are in neutral, the engine revs really quickly, and consequently loses its revs really quickly, so you got to be on it... I think it also has something to do with your cam, and engine in general too... I am not familiar with the LS1, but, cams usually tend to affect the way a car revs... If your cam makes your car "less revvy" , then I think it would help more than a car with a cam/engine that is a quick revver...
Basically, if you can keep the RPM's up there when you get power, you should definitely get a boost in speed, as long as you are still in the power band, at a higher point than if you just hit it when in gear. I think that the difference would be proportional to the amount of time it takes for the engine to rev and make up the difference between RPM's that you are at when you hit it... So, in theory, I think what you do is a good technique, but then again, what do I know?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:32 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information ...

A clutch dump while rolling while not very easy on your drivetrain as the professional road racer above us so nicely stated but will definately cause you to get a jump. Just think of it the same as when you do a normal launch .... what kind of 60 ft times can you acheive by idling your car, then slaming on the gas and going? How about now if you start at 4000 or so, then slip the clutch alittle bit? Obviously the second method will result in better times ... same from a roll. You just have to find that happy medium between spinning tires like crazy/breaking **** and a solid launch.

I personally usually just put it into the gear I want to be at, let up on the clutch and hold it around 4k rpms, then just slam on the gas .... but that is because I have reg street tires and would have big time traction issues the other way.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Been doing it for two years with no problems on the stock clutch or rear....anything else you'd like to add?

Let it also be noted that your car is slower than mine, amateur
Old 05-03-2004, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
What do you do then? Please educate us "f-in" amateurs.
By the way, I'm not too concerned about breaking my Moser 9", Heavy Duty Driveshaft or Spec III Clutch, I just want to know what jump method is more effective.

.. wish i have a 9" inch..
Old 05-03-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting thread. I've never had success starting anywhere in third, so I usually try to start around 50 in second. I have noticed, however, that starting in third then quickly shifting to second and nailing it seems to produce a harder jump than just leaving it in second and punching it. I thought it was all in my head, but after reading this thread perhaps it isn't.

Josh
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Milla. You hit the nail on the head about the power band being way up there, and wanting to stay there.
You are wrong about the "less revvy" part, but it can be interpreted as there being a lack of power down low. Thanks.

Phantom, you're just used to the juice kickin' in at WOT , so you need to worry about the jump less. But then again, you do race a lot without the nitrous lately.

Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 AM
STF Veteran

You need to read his sig before you start making arrogant statements. I think with his mods he should be fine doing a hard rolling launch. So keep your "f-in" comments to yourself if you aren't going to contribute something constructive.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
You need to read his sig before you start making arrogant statements. I think with his mods he should be fine doing a hard rolling launch. So keep your "f-in" comments to yourself if you aren't going to contribute something constructive.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Lol....yeah, ya'll just keep on doing it that way. You must have listened to Vin Diesel when he told Paul Walker that he should have been double clutching.

I'll admit, South, you're drivetrain set-up is strong enough to take such abuse, but any of these other guys with a stock drivetrain are just waiting on a ticking timebomb if they try to run from a roll like this.

Lemme ask all of you a question. How many of you that have replied in this post so far, actually do a 55-6K clutch dump off the line at the track? Now what in the world makes you think that doing from a 50-60 mph roll is gonna be any easier on the car than if it were stationary. With the car already in motion, if your car isn't making the power, and I'm not talking about 350-400 rwhp, as soon as you do your lil clutch dump from a roll, the car will want to try and come back down to the appropriate rpm for that mph. In other words, all that torque is applied directly to your clutch and rear-end, and if there's a single weak link in there, it's gonna be found.

Oh, and Venkman, I'm glad you noticed that you were faster than me, but unfortunately, those times were from 3 years ago. I was pulling 114 then too, but just never upddated that goofy member page.

99-LS1-SS......do you even have any clue what you're talking about? Reccommending to somebody that you think that's the way they should launch leads me to believe that you have the FnF box set collectors edition!

Tell ya what, you guys just keep on doing what you're doing, and if you don't break anything, then AWESOME, but if you do, then.........:kaboom:
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Unbelievable, you seem to know that movie pretty well.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Lol.....I think they play it every frickin day on Starz! :p

Seriously guys, I didn't mean to come of as the major *** that I did, but I was amazed at how many people actually did that type of roll racing. It is EXTREMELY hard on the drivetrain, and people who have set-ups like South's above me can take it, but even then, it's not something I'd want to do all the time.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Lol....yeah, ya'll just keep on doing it that way. You must have listened to Vin Diesel when he told Paul Walker that he should have been double clutching.

I'll admit, South, you're drivetrain set-up is strong enough to take such abuse, but any of these other guys with a stock drivetrain are just waiting on a ticking timebomb if they try to run from a roll like this.

Lemme ask all of you a question. How many of you that have replied in this post so far, actually do a 55-6K clutch dump off the line at the track? Now what in the world makes you think that doing from a 50-60 mph roll is gonna be any easier on the car than if it were stationary. With the car already in motion, if your car isn't making the power, and I'm not talking about 350-400 rwhp, as soon as you do your lil clutch dump from a roll, the car will want to try and come back down to the appropriate rpm for that mph. In other words, all that torque is applied directly to your clutch and rear-end, and if there's a single weak link in there, it's gonna be found.

Oh, and Venkman, I'm glad you noticed that you were faster than me, but unfortunately, those times were from 3 years ago. I was pulling 114 then too, but just never upddated that goofy member page.

99-LS1-SS......do you even have any clue what you're talking about? Reccommending to somebody that you think that's the way they should launch leads me to believe that you have the FnF box set collectors edition!

Tell ya what, you guys just keep on doing what you're doing, and if you don't break anything, then AWESOME, but if you do, then.........:kaboom:
You're an *******, nuff said. Had you said something like "In my experience I found that your **** will break faster by dumping it" it would have been fine, it might have even sounded like constructive critisism but instead you just made yourself sound like an ***.And if those times were from 3 years ago why dont you just post up a more recent timeslip and let us all know how much better you are than us.

UnbelievabLS1- Seriously guys, I didn't mean to come of as the major *** that I did, but I was amazed at how many people actually did that type of roll racing. It is EXTREMELY hard on the drivetrain, and people who have set-ups like South's above me can take it, but even then, it's not something I'd want to do all the time.
Way to back track.....dick