TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

LS1> the world, bra.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
Originally Posted by "MAC"
Actually your missing the point 5th gen Camaro uses the LS3/L99 Ford uses the 5.0 both cars compete and both engines compete. 4th gen Camaro uses th Ls1/ls6/lt1/lt4, Ford mustang uses the 4.6L like i said the 5.4L is compared to the LS7
Just...wow. You make my brain hurt.
I know its too much for you to understand a good education would help you with that
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
LS1> the world, bra.
The 5.0 is a better engine then the ls1
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
I know its too much for you to understand a good education would help you with that
This coming from the biggest water head on the forum...I must now end my life.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
***Repost Police***

Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

It's funny when MAC tries to make fun of someone's intelligence. His post look like something a 3rd grader cooked up
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by islander033
Not sure what you are arguing about then.

PS. If an engine can make the same or more HP with less cubes, then isn't it more efficient?

gm makes the same or more hp with less weight and physical size. and that's more efficient.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lawhead
It's funny when MAC tries to make fun of someone's intelligence. His post look like something a 3rd grader cooked up
The worst part is, I'm actually trying to debate with him. That's an automatic fail on my part for letting my pride take over and feed into the issue. I should have listened to my father, "you can't outsmart stupid".
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by big hammer
gm makes the same or more hp with less weight and physical size. and that's more efficient.
Which is all fine and good...but the extra 1/2 horsepower per cubic inch just MAY make up for a 50lb difference in engine weight and a little more difficulty with packaging. Seeing as Ford designs their vehicles around these "ginormous" engines, packaging is out of the way, so that leaves us with what? Oh...it'll take an extra 10 cubic inches to eliminate the deficit caused by the "heavy" modular design. An excellent argument, given that the nearest Ford/GM competitive products already have an ENORMOUS gap in displacement...in favor of GM no less.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Which is all fine and good...but the extra 1/2 horsepower per cubic inch just MAY make up for a 50lb difference in engine weight and a little more difficulty with packaging. Seeing as Ford designs their vehicles around these "ginormous" engines, packaging is out of the way, so that leaves us with what? Oh...it'll take an extra 10 cubic inches to eliminate the deficit caused by the "heavy" modular design. An excellent argument, given that the nearest Ford/GM competitive products already have an ENORMOUS gap in displacement...in favor of GM no less.
what exactly does volumetric efficiency do for a car?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM
***Repost Police***

That is definitely part of it. But you can't throw volumetric efficiency out the window.
Also good point.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM
***Repost Police***

what exactly does volumetric efficiency do for a car?
What does a lighter and smaller engine do for a car if the car itself is still larger and heavier? Keep it from being even larger and heavier still?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

LS3 and coyote are nearly the same size/weight/hp...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Teching In

The debate, Big Hammer, has been over which is the better MOTOR. Thus my entire previous post...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM

Whether the Ford or GM engine is better really shouldn't be in question here. If you need more cubes to make the same or more power, that engine is positively less efficient especially if it doesn't match fuel economy.

The reason I posted this is because I've read several comments about the big heavy Ford 5L. It's about a max of 15lb different from the typical aluminum LS engine. That's not much but it is way bigger.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Just stop it!

Nobody on here wants facts
Old 03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I know is i wouldnt trade my big heavy inefficient roadrunner for any factory ls3 ever.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys all dislike big displacement buy hondas.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Just stop it!

Nobody on here wants facts
My bad.
Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
If you guys all dislike big displacement buy hondas.
Hey lil buddy!

Who said we was all against "big displacement"?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MAC, please PLEASE STFU, you're not helping.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Moral of the story; if the DOHC 4.6 is *almost* as large as a big block, and the new 5.0 is 2" shallower/thinner and almost 3" shorter than the 4.6...then the 5.0 isn't actually anywhere near as large as a big block.
C'mon, with all the hard googling you've been doing, you can certainly do better than that...
Assuming these numbers are correct, the BB engines are actually SMALLER than the mod motor:
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/0...popular-swaps/
Originally Posted by R6cowboy
But the Ford mod motor is doing it at 6.1L and not 7.0+.
You're saying that like it matters for some reason. Poor argument when the weight and size difference is heavily in favor of the LS7. So not only does the LS7 make more power/torque at a cheaper price, but its also smaller and lighter. Why does the displacement matter again?

PS. If an engine can make the same or more HP with less cubes, then isn't it more efficient?
Not if the weight and size doubles.

But it doesn't make up for it. Its physically MUCH bigger. As far as the "rated" weight of the engine Id like to see how Ford actually weighs them, as Im willing to bet their "dressed" weight has quite a few less things than GM's dressed weight (which is turn key with flywheel and clutch).
Im not talking strictly about the Mustang vs Camaro, Im talking hypothetically if you were to be building a car. Remember we are talking about just the engines, not the cars involved.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
What does a lighter and smaller engine do for a car if the car itself is still larger and heavier? Keep it from being even larger and heavier still?
:facepalm: *cough corvette cough*
Arn't you the one always trying to convince people you are not a mustang fanboy? Why are you going out of your way to defend what is obviously the bigger, heavier engine of the two? I have a feeling that if it were the other way around your argument would be very different.

Not even close on size. Weight is negotiable, but see the comments above, Im betting Ford's definition of "dressed" is different from GMs. Id also like to see a third party verify the dressed and undressed weight.
Regardless you still end up with the LS3 being smaller/lighter/cheaper with more power/torque at the end of the day, displacement again being irrelevant.

Originally Posted by carguy111
Whether the Ford or GM engine is better really shouldn't be in question here. If you need more cubes to make the same or more power, that engine is positively less efficient especially if it doesn't match fuel economy.

The reason I posted this is because I've read several comments about the big heavy Ford 5L. It's about a max of 15lb different from the typical aluminum LS engine. That's not much but it is way bigger.
I've bolded the issue here, there is not a "need" but rather a "choice/want". GM doesn't "need" more displacement, they CHOOSE to use more displacement instead of higher RPMs with a more expensive valvetrain. You end up getting better drivability, and a better powerband with more low end torque with no weight or physical size handicap, so why not? Why would you not use something like a 7L+ application when its the same size and weight of something like a 4.8L OHV equivalent engine or 3-4L V8 OHC equivalent in size??? Who cares what the displacement is if its lightweight and small?

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS