Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 of my friends both bought brand new GTs. A year ago.. my buddy got a 2013 base GT for 26k. About a month ago, another friend picked up his 2014 fully loaded track pack GT with shaker 1000, navi, leather recaros, brembos, etc etc, for 31k.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
I would hope the 5.0 "coyote" engine is better than something from 1997, especially when you have to pay $38k for a Mustang to get it (by the time you get any worthwhile options and you still don't even have leather yet).
You can pick up a base 5.0 GT (which a LOT of people want) for $25k-$27k. I just built a 6spd manual GT w/ the tech package, the track pack, AND the Recaro seats. It was just over $36k. Saying "you don't get a lot for the money" is simply false. If you care that much about leather, get the $35k MSRP GT Premium and go cruising. But I can tell you that nobody pays CLOSE to MSRP for these cars. So I really doubt you looked very hard if you couldn't find a well-optioned car for less than $38k.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Originally Posted by "MAC"
Lol the new 5.0 Coyote engine is a lot better than the LS1
I'll refer you back to the vid pal.
Your in denial n btw i hate Ford with a passion but i give credit where its due
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens

You can pick up a base 5.0 GT (which a LOT of people want) for $25k-$27k. I just built a 6spd manual GT w/ the tech package, the track pack, AND the Recaro seats. It was just over $36k. Saying "you don't get a lot for the money" is simply false. If you care that much about leather, get the $35k MSRP GT Premium and go cruising. But I can tell you that nobody pays CLOSE to MSRP for these cars. So I really doubt you looked very hard if you couldn't find a well-optioned car for less than $38k.
It also depends on where he lives to but i don't think that would drive up the price as much as he said unless he is in Hawaii
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
***Repost Police***

I would say on stock cubes, the 5.0 is going to be stronger than an LS1. LS3 and 5.0 are fairly even, with the 5.0 (especially in Roadrunner trim) having the advantage till you get into head/cam and/or stroker builds.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
2 of my friends both bought brand new GTs. A year ago.. my buddy got a 2013 base GT for 26k. About a month ago, another friend picked up his 2014 fully loaded track pack GT with shaker 1000, navi, leather recaros, brembos, etc etc, for 31k.
I looked at a base 2011 GT 6-Speed and Grey for 20k flat. If I had the cash, I would have drove home with it. It only had 20k miles on it. Not bad! I think I will be looking for one in the next few years when they are in the 16-18k range for higher mile ones.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Any mods to the 2500HD? I have a 2003 Sierra 2500HD (ECSB) and was thinking about taking it to lebanon, haha.
Yes.....but it ran those times stock. I did a cold air intake, udp and a mild tune and it ran the same......but it had 33x12.5 / 17 wheels tires on it.
Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Yes I'm talking about E85 pump gas. You are showing your inexperience and lack of knowledge Hio by not knowing what these other engines are capable of. My point is you have no understanding of what those 5.4L modular's can do. That's why you argue about it. I like all different kinds, brands and types of engines. That's why I can care less how any other engine stacks up to an LSx.
For starters e85 is not "pump" gas. Secondly stop trying to give the 5.4 a crutch to stand on because you know it won't make as much on pump. I have a very good understanding of what modulars can do. Look around at the guys yakkin on this site.......NONE of them has a n/a modular except for Bitemark.......and he's planning on goin forced induction. Does that tell you anything?

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Not starting an argument. What's wrong with comparing the 5.4L modular to the 5.7L LS1?
Btw, I'm not a Ford guy. I'm just a car guy with no loyalty to a certain brand.
Nothing....the 5.4 get's it's *** handed to it there too.
Originally Posted by Lawhead
Yeah that's what Hio told me

Don't drive your car in the rain = race car

God forbid I don't want the idiots on the road running into me when I have a car that's more expendable Hio is just that but hurt my car is 10 times the street car his is lol
LOL.....keep dreamin. Maybe we should do a comparison like those "Forum Wars". You would get soundly thrashed.
Originally Posted by automach1
Yawn. Little man syndrome ftl.

My old motor is still going to out et the racecar ls6

I have had the car for ~15 months and it is already faster then your racecar camero.
LOL @ little man ****. You would break down just trying to carry one of my nuts you **** ant.

LOL.....so now your built old motor is goin to out et my bolt-on ls6.....lmao. I thought is was about mph to you? Well we both know it was not goin to do either as long as your dumbass owned it.

Dude everyone knows your slip and vid do not match up......give it up. Even the ford guys know it.

You see guys this is why the ls is a better engine. In case you haven't noticed all of the furd guys have a hard on for a little bolt-on ls6. Yet none of them have anything n/a or on the stock charger that can run with it

Well heaters none ford mustang can out run run it......but I'm talking actual ford stuff.

Here's a link to a pick'em up truck bolt-on engine in e 4th gen
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...8-hardtop.html

Does anyone here think they can go to a junk yard......pluck a 5.4 out of a 4x4 truck and run the # this guy did?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, pick up a 4.6 out of an Aviator or a 5.4 out of a Navigator, I would think with the bolt-ons that guy has it could be right around that much power. Maybe more.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Highly doubtful.

You looked at power #'s........on a car with a 4000 stall........WHY? You look at et then.

BTW....notch has that identical engine in his 3rd gen. It seems to run pretty strong.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Notch's car has a tighter converter set up for nitrous. Well see what his dyno's. My guess will be over 350whp. With the bolt-ons he's doin if it had a m6 behind it maybe 370 then or a little more.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
***Repost Police***

You don't think a bolt-on/geared/stalled/suspension Mach 1 with a built transmission and a few pounds off the front could run in the 11s? Because that's the same motor that's in the Aviator. The 5.4 out of the Navigator has a little more power and a lot more torque...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Highly doubtful.

You looked at power #'s........on a car with a 4000 stall........WHY? You look at et then.

BTW....notch has that identical engine in his 3rd gen. It seems to run pretty strong.
The navigator dohc is a stout piece for a pos mod motor. it would be close if it was in a fox. Can't wait to get mine wrapped up. Want to see how fast it will go bolt on. 10s on spray will be easy if it runs any where near what it should on boltons.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Yes.....but it ran those times stock. I did a cold air intake, udp and a mild tune and it ran the same......but it had 33x12.5 / 17 wheels tires on it.

For starters e85 is not "pump" gas. Secondly stop trying to give the 5.4 a crutch to stand on because you know it won't make as much on pump. I have a very good understanding of what modulars can do. Look around at the guys yakkin on this site.......NONE of them has a n/a modular except for Bitemark.......and he's planning on goin forced induction. Does that tell you anything?

Nothing....the 5.4 get's it's *** handed to it there too.

LOL.....keep dreamin. Maybe we should do a comparison like those "Forum Wars". You would get soundly thrashed.

LOL @ little man ****. You would break down just trying to carry one of my nuts you **** ant.

LOL.....so now your built old motor is goin to out et my bolt-on ls6.....lmao. I thought is was about mph to you? Well we both know it was not goin to do either as long as your dumbass owned it.

Dude everyone knows your slip and vid do not match up......give it up. Even the ford guys know it.

You see guys this is why the ls is a better engine. In case you haven't noticed all of the furd guys have a hard on for a little bolt-on ls6. Yet none of them have anything n/a or on the stock charger that can run with it

Well heaters none ford mustang can out run run it......but I'm talking actual ford stuff.

Here's a link to a pick'em up truck bolt-on engine in e 4th gen
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...8-hardtop.html

Does anyone here think they can go to a junk yard......pluck a 5.4 out of a 4x4 truck and run the # this guy did?
Little man spewing his bs again. Smh
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

He may in denial but you're young and dumb (no offense). We all were at some point in time. When you get older you realize that it isn't the badge on the car that you hate, it's the personality of the guy behind the wheel. TRUST me, they are on both sites.....err I mean sides.

I was pitted next to a guy with a new ZL1 last month. After my little n/a 5.4 beat him by over 3 tenths I popped a fuse in my trunk. He got his meter tester out and started helping me fix the problem. If he had an problem I would have had no problem crawling under his car to help getting it running.

Too many guys trying to impress people they don't know with money they don't have.

-Mark
Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Not if the weight and size doubles.
Is the 5l double the weight and size of the ls3? I kind of doubt it. Actually, the weight is nearly the same.

But it doesn't make up for it. Its physically MUCH bigger. As far as the "rated" weight of the engine Id like to see how Ford actually weighs them, as Im willing to bet their "dressed" weight has quite a few less things than GM's dressed weight (which is turn key with flywheel and clutch).
Not even close on size. Weight is negotiable, but see the comments above, Im betting Ford's definition of "dressed" is different from GMs. Id also like to see a third party verify the dressed and undressed weight
Not fer nuthin~ look it up.
Regardless you still end up with the LS3 being smaller/lighter/cheaper with more power/torque at the end of the day, displacement again being irrelevant.
That seems to be the actual questionable part. It shouldn't matter because not all cars are alike.

I've bolded the issue here, there is not a "need" but rather a "choice/want". GM doesn't "need" more displacement, they CHOOSE to use more displacement instead of higher RPMs with a more expensive valvetrain. You end up getting better drivability, and a better powerband with more low end torque with no weight or physical size handicap, so why not? Why would you not use something like a 7L+ application when its the same size and weight of something like a 4.8L OHV equivalent engine or 3-4L V8 OHC equivalent in size??? Who cares what the displacement is if its lightweight and small?
maybe you're class racing? Maybe 1 is more fuel efficient? Maybe you just like one better? Maybe it lasts longer? There may be several reasons to do it. I have trouble finding an adequate reason to knock it unless I got poor results when I tried it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
He may in denial but you're young and dumb (no offense). We all were at some point in time. When you get older you realize that it isn't the badge on the car that you hate, it's the personality of the guy behind the wheel. TRUST me, they are on both sites.....err I mean sides.

I was pitted next to a guy with a new ZL1 last month. After my little n/a 5.4 beat him by over 3 tenths I popped a fuse in my trunk. He got his meter tester out and started helping me fix the problem. If he had an problem I would have had no problem crawling under his car to help getting it running.

Too many guys trying to impress people they don't know with money they don't have.

-Mark
Well said.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by carguy111
Is the 5l double the weight and size of the ls3? I kind of doubt it. Actually, the weight is nearly the same.

Not fer nuthin~ look it up.
That seems to be the actual questionable part. It shouldn't matter because not all cars are alike.

maybe you're class racing? Maybe 1 is more fuel efficient? Maybe you just like one better? Maybe it lasts longer? There may be several reasons to do it. I have trouble finding an adequate reason to knock it unless I got poor results when I tried it.
If I like a car, the fact that a similar car has a smaller/larger motor doesn't matter to me. Each car has its own flaws; LT1s have water pumps that puke on the distributors, early 2Vs have intakes that crack and dump all the coolant out, some LS1s liked to slap their pistons around. But each of those motors has proven itself many times over to be dead reliable overall, and very strong. I guess I'm just not the type of person that likes one thing, thinks everything else is ****, and calls everybody who likes those things idiots. Call me crazy for having broad taste I guess...
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bitemark46

-Mark
You make good points and i agree lol i never claimed to know all and im well aware of i have a lot more to learn aswell so hopefully not to dumb like auto
Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Banned

You make good points and i agree lol i never claimed to know all and im well aware of i have a lot more to learn aswell so hopefully not to dumb like auto
Smh one day you will learn young one
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by automach1
Smh one day you will learn young one
Hopefully you will too

Quick Reply: Bolt on 5.0, beats 4th gen 427 stroker camaro SS