Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Would you consider buying it? If Yes or No then why?
Yes
54.55%
Unsure
33.33%
No
12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

RideTech coil-over kits for 93-02 F-body; what do you think(good or bad)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RideTech coil-over kits for 93-02 F-body; what do you think(good or bad)?

I see RideTech now has single adjustable and triple adjustable coil-over kits available for our cars, and the shocks are made by Fox Racing which is a improvement from their previous shock line. Anyway they do seem like quality pieces to me, an I thought it would be nice see what every thinks about it, Okay so here's some photo's of them.
Here's the SA's:
$1600
<link to non-sponsor store deleted> Sorry, you'll need to got to the ridetech website to see the photo now!
Here's the TA's:
$3000
<link to non-sponsor store deleted> Sorry, you'll need to go to the ridetech website to see the photo now!

The only negative I have right off the bat is the high price, and the mounting of the rear springs on the shocks, instead od keeping the springs in the stock locations. One positive note is the front factory upper rubber mount is eliminated which means quicker/easier shock removal and no more rust issues with the upper shock mount.
SO lets hear what you think!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-17-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: non-sponsor store links deleted
Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I want those fronts. Ridetech makes some really nice stuff, the shocks are extremely high quality. I got to play with some of their triple adjustables and the high speed adjustment would be REALLY nice to have. My Koni DA's are like a brick shithouse unless you start to work the suspension hard.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote yes! But I may be a little biased

The new line of coilovers definitely give off that ride quality and performance! When you can get the power to the ground and that these cars are making and still get a good ride, it makes them alot more fun!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure if its against forum rules but are there any shock dyno graphs you can share? Does the redesigned upper mount add any compression travel?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wish I had more info, but the only info I have is what's available from the ride tech website. I'm hoping someone with more info will chime-in, at least about the new shock that are available
Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, seeing now that RideTech is listed as a site sponsor now here's the links to the coilover.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-2...m-level-1.html

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-2...m-level-3.html

FYI, from my experience with the RideTech rear air spring kit is that you can also go with strictly shock mounted bump-stops and totally remove the factory chassis mounted bump-stops when used with the factory 10bolt rear. The only thing you will possibly need to do is re-adjust the over axle exhaust pipe with the rear suspension set to the lowest possible ride height or fully compressed for clearance easily with a 3" diameter and even a 3.5" diameter pipe. You'll also want to at the same time make sure any wiring that's in contact or is very close to the exhaust heat is moved for further away and that the passenger side parking brake cable had at least 1/4" exhaust pipe clearance, and last verify there's no other possible clearance issues anywhere around the rear-end assemble and the drive shaft. This will allow a better ride quality even at lower than stock ride height.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-14-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I hope to hear from a ride tech rep. I spoke with one of their reps (may have been Josh, if he formerly had a 4th gen trans am) and they are really cool guys. The front interests me especially, I would love to get rid of the upper shock mount. I have heard changing to a mount like ride tech can increase compression travel. I would also like to see more about the rear, I'm curious how it would stand up to abuse in a car that sees lots of track time.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, if anything it would make removing the front shock/spring assembly a lot easier and quicker if you wanted to swap to different springs, and you'd never have to worry again about the possible rust issues at the top shock mount like with the factory upper mounts.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-15-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

It would be nice to get rid of that mount. No more water pooling on the top to rust the shock nuts on, and it would eliminate the possibility of the stock mount tearing apart which I have seen before. Switching setups would be cool, since I have access to an alignment rack so switching between spring rates/ride height/alignment would be easy.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these gas or oil ? If they are gas wouldn't they over heat under track conditions?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a little more info on the shocks.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/shocks/
Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Bilstein monotubes are gas pressure...

These look nice. I saw 200lbs rear coilover springs but the front wasn't listed...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't seen anything about standard spring rates front and rear.

Okay I do see a 200 spring rate rear spring listed in the install instruction, but no front spring rate or even a spring listed...

Even so, you should be able to get them with different spring rates, if you know what you want.

BTW, good eye Jake!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-15-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Hey guys! Sorry, this is my first time logging on since we've became a site sponsor, I'll be happy to answer any questions you guys come up with!

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Not sure if its against forum rules but are there any shock dyno graphs you can share? Does the redesigned upper mount add any compression travel?
I will get some dyno sheets put up on here! On the 4th gens, we use one of the longest shocks that we have on the shelf. We get more travel out of it for a better performance and ride quality, it just depends on what your personal preferences are!
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I wish I had more info, but the only info I have is what's available from the ride tech website. I'm hoping someone with more info will chime-in, at least about the new shock that are available
What information are you looking for? I'll dig it up and put it on here for you
Well, seeing now that RideTech is listed as a site sponsor now here's the links to the coilover.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-2...m-level-1.html

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-2...m-level-3.html

FYI, from my experience with the RideTech rear air spring kit is that you can also go with strictly shock mounted bump-stops and totally remove the factory chassis mounted bump-stops when used with the factory 10bolt rear. The only thing you will possibly need to do is re-adjust the over axle exhaust pipe with the rear suspension set to the lowest possible ride height or fully compressed for clearance easily with a 3" diameter and even a 3.5" diameter pipe. You'll also want to at the same time make sure any wiring that's in contact or is very close to the exhaust heat is moved for further away and that the passenger side parking brake cable had at least 1/4" exhaust pipe clearance, and last verify there's no other possible clearance issues anywhere around the rear-end assemble and the drive shaft. This will allow a better ride quality even at lower than stock ride height.
Thanks alot man! I agree with everything in this post, clearance is key with everything. When we're building a kit, we try to keep everything clear of all of the factory pieces. Depending on what exhaust is being ran, you may have to modify it, but that can vary from car to car. The ride quality and performance of these cars is nice from the factory but can be improved, even with a lowered stance!
Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I hope to hear from a ride tech rep. I spoke with one of their reps (may have been Josh, if he formerly had a 4th gen trans am) and they are really cool guys. The front interests me especially, I would love to get rid of the upper shock mount. I have heard changing to a mount like ride tech can increase compression travel. I would also like to see more about the rear, I'm curious how it would stand up to abuse in a car that sees lots of track time.
I believe you did talk to me, I used to have a 4th gen but ended up getting rear ended... The cars that we build here are street cars that get treated like a track car every day that it gets driven. When were at the track, everything is put to the test to make sure that we get everything out of our product that is possible. Putting these on a full time track car would be no issue at all, the shocks will hold up, without a doubt. They also have a 1,000,001 mile warranty, so you're completely covered!
Originally Posted by camarokid91
Are these gas or oil ? If they are gas wouldn't they over heat under track conditions?
We use a monotube Fox shock, it's a gas/oil shock. They can be mounted upside down, rightside up, really any configuration that you can think of. Overheating isn't a problem, we do ALOT of autocrossing/road course events, so we needed a shock that could withstand alot of abuse.
I haven't seen anything about standard spring rates front and rear.

Okay I do see a 200 spring rate rear spring listed in the install instruction, but no front spring rate or even a spring listed...

Even so, you should be able to get them with different spring rates, if you know what you want.

BTW, good eye Jake!
We have a set spring rate for the front and rear, I'll get the front rate for you guys as well! If the rates need to be changed, that can be done very easily, just let us know what you are going to be doing with the car and I can adjust the spring rates.

Also, I attached the dyno sheets for the HQ series (single adjustable), fully clockwise =full stiff/fully counter-clockwise= full soft
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HQ Front.pdf (9.7 KB, 264 views)
File Type: pdf
HQ Rear.pdf (9.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possibly to buy the fronts/rears separately?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Launching!

what is the height adjustability?

i really want these now
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Yeah, RidetechJosh I'd definitely like to know this as well, since I'd prefer to keep the rear spring in the factory location.

I do know Ridetech offers smooth body(non-coilover)SA rear shocks, but it's not part of any of their kits they offer.
Here's the rear smooth-body rear shocks:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-0...hq-series.html

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-17-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In the install instructions it seems to have part numbers, but searching them on their website i cant find anything.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Launching!

JOSH.......... will there be a smooth body HQ front strut available???

im trying to budget out some stuff so i can buy these level 2 coilovers.....
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
You can buy the front and rear individually, that's no problem at all. We just don't have it set up on our website to purchase like that. All you need to to do is call in and I can do that for you!
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
what is the height adjustability?

i really want these now
All of our kits that we sell are designed for about a 2" drop compared to the factory height. You can adjust the coilovers about 3/4" up or down, you'll just want to make sure that you keep your shock/strut within it's travel.
Yeah, RidetechJosh I'd definitely like to know this as well, since I'd prefer to keep the rear spring in the factory location. I do know Ridetech offers smooth body(non-coilover)SA rear shocks, but it's not part of any of their kits they offer.
Here's the rear smooth-body rear shocks:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1993-0...hq-series.html
Absolutely, it's not a problem at all. If your car is already lowered in the rear, it'll be perfect, as the front is designed to give you a lowered stance.

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
JOSH.......... will there be a smooth body HQ front strut available???

im trying to budget out some stuff so i can buy these level 2 coilovers.....
The struts will only be offered in the threaded bodies, they have a larger diameter body that can handle more weight than the smaller, smooth bodies.

Quick Reply: RideTech coil-over kits for 93-02 F-body; what do you think(good or bad)?