Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

dimpled vs. cross-drilled rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dimpled vs. cross-drilled rotors? Anyone?

Are dimpled rotors better than cross drilled? I've been told that the cross drilled rotors tend to crack sometimes so I was just wanting some opinions. I'm buying on or the other. thanks.

Last edited by 97SprChrgd383; 05-22-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

No one can chime in on this?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dimpled are better than cross-drilled from a performance standpoint. But... if it's performance you want... solid rotors are better (Brembo blanks). If it's looks you're after (and not necessarily performance), cross-drilled and/or slotted will work. With that said, cross-drilled and/or slotted will work ok on the street. You'd most likely only notice diminished performance on a road course or atuo-x.

Marc
Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Ok. cool. exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

My last set of rotors was an expensive set of drilled that i bought on a GP here on the board. They warped faster than the stock ones did. what a waste. Drilled rotors do nothing for performance.

Now I use $39 rotors from autozone and a good set of pads.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Dude, that sucks. Those cross drilled and slotted rotors are too damn expensive not to work. I guess I'm going with dimpled and slotted rotors.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

One thing I neglected to mention was that cross-drilled and slotted rotors also have a much better chance of developing stress cracks in the metal.

If you weren't aware... the idea of cross-drilling and slotting rotors came about many years ago when the adhesive used on brake pads would emit gases when they became too hot. The holes and slots would allow the gases to be displaced and improve performance. What brake manufacturers do not tell you is that the adhesives use today do not produce the gases they did long ago. So, there's really no need for the holes or slots anymore. People have been mislead to believe they'll improve performance when in fact they actually reduce performance and rotor longevity in today's braking systems. If you do a search on any of the LS1 or F-Body forums, you'll find this has been discussed at length.

Marc
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 AM
GQ
12 Second Club

im gonna have to throw up the bs flag on this one. as far as the adhesive story, thats great and all, and there may even be some truth to it. but cross drilled rotors are used on too many endurance racing cars for me to believe some fairy tail like that. i have a set of slotted rotors that in truth, feel about the same as stock, but the only racing i do is drag. if you plan on doing racing that involves a constant high temp situation, a set of good cross drilled rotors/ pads may be worth looking into.

Last edited by G's99_hawk; 05-23-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Teching In

I have had powerslots on my car for about two years and done a few autocrosses and long road trips to the mountains. The braking power was definately improved with a set of hawk pads and I have had no warping what so ever. In we conditions, they seem to be better than stock.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Cross drilled and slotted rotors are better for stopping from high speeds.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

G's99_hawk & SS01RED please read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/262940-replacing-rotors-what-get.html
(Just dont do what absolut_speed said in that thread, he was joking.)

PS, nytmare1 is right.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VIP1
PS, nytmare1 is right.
Wow! Pigs do fly!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Wow! Pigs do fly!
And horses can talk!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G's99_hawk
im gonna have to throw up the bs flag on this one. as far as the adhesive story, thats great and all, and there may even be some truth to it. but cross drilled rotors are used on too many endurance racing cars for me to believe some fairy tail like that. i have a set of slotted rotors that in truth, feel about the same as stock, but the only racing i do is drag. if you plan on doing racing that involves a constant high temp situation, a set of good cross drilled rotors/ pads may be worth looking into.
Beleive what you want but it ain't no fairy tale. Unless you run something other than the stock rotor size on our cars, drilled, dimpled and or slotted rotors will do nothing for you, might even hurt you if you really use the brakes. On the street,,, shouldn't make a difference so if you want "Blingy" go for it. Just don't gripe if they crack or warp.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Ok what about just putting Hawks racing pads on the front and rear and leaving the stock rotors. Will you gain anything that way? I added about 100HP to the car so I just want to better the brakes for the added HP. Thanks all
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Better pads do help, so does better brake fluid. You can do a C5 rotor conversion for not alot of money also.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The link I provided has plenty of info on rotors and pads. There is a link in there to a thread where various members discuss the rotors/pads/fluid that they have used (the good and the bad).

A decent set of pads and blank rotors will help you decrease your stopping distances. Stickier tires will also help. That is something that people forget. Tires are your contact to the ground.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/tech101.jsp
"While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if these products are used on the track they are not warrantable."
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Teching In

If cross drilled and slotted are soo bad, then why do companies such as Porsche and Mercedes put them on their top of the line perfomance cars? I do understand that slotted and cross drilled might be prone to wearing down faster especially if they are cheap, but if done right, they should be an improvement. I could be wrong, but if I am, then so are some big companies!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOOTYTA
If cross drilled and slotted are soo bad, then why do companies such as Porsche and Mercedes put them on their top of the line perfomance cars? I do understand that slotted and cross drilled might be prone to wearing down faster especially if they are cheap, but if done right, they should be an improvement. I could be wrong, but if I am, then so are some big companies!

Because they can call them high-performane brakes and charge more money for them. Car companies are out to sell cars and the general population sees drilled or slotted rotors as a premium or "high-performance" braking characteristic.
Plus, they look pretty.
Also, remember that the brakes on a street car will never ever see the extreme conditions that a track car sees, so the fact that surface area and anti-warping characteristics are lost in a drilled rotor doesn't really matter.
This subject has been beaten to death and the guys who know what they are talking about recommend a large diameter, blank rotor with an aggressive pad and sticky tires for maximum braking.
Drilled, slotted, dimpled or whatever rotors look nice but do not aid in braking. They are fine for 95% of drivers, but aren't really acceptable for track use.
As for those high dollar race cars with silicon carbide rotors....I have no idea how they work. But the general population will buy a slotted rotor simply because they see it on a race car. It's all about making $$$$$.
Just my $.02

Quick Reply: dimpled vs. cross-drilled rotors?