Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best way to nimbleness on an F body

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to nimbleness on an F body

Whats the best way to get the car to feel as nimble as possbile without totally gutting the thing to where comfort is compromised, or is it hopeless on a chassis this old and this heavy?And is there any way to fix the heavy/numb steering in our cars?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't find it heavy or numb. But I have a performance
alignment and a lightweight K-member, good sway bars
and shocks as well as lowered (which lowers CoG and
hence body roll, sway bars aside).
Old 07-18-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

First get good shocks. Then get some good tires, along with an aggressive street alignment. Then add a set of matched swaybars, and remove as much unnecessary weight as you can (rear seats and seatbelts if you don't use them, etc...) and your car should feel much nimbler.

Actually, I also find the F-body steering to be nicely weighted and think it provides decent feedback.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shocks, swaybars, and alignment would be a good starting point.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

i should be purchasing a set of strano's bars this week, prob an alignment, edlebrock lca's, and UMI sfcs W/ reloc brakets

as far as the alignment goes, whats a decnt street/road course setup that wont rip apart my tires?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I don't find it heavy or numb. But I have a performance
alignment and a lightweight K-member, good sway bars
and shocks as well as lowered (which lowers CoG and
hence body roll, sway bars aside).
jimmy- all the talk about the lightweight k-members being prone to failure doesnt trouble you?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, but it went in before all the bad news had
started coming out. Too hard to mess with it now,
unless I see it starting to crack.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwikz28
jimmy- all the talk about the lightweight k-members being prone to failure doesnt trouble you?
Just to play devil's advocate - on MythBusters (rerun) last night, they talked to an electrician that had heard about melted phones (from lightning hits), but never saw one or held the pieces in his hands. Someone here has had a challenge out for some time, for anyone to get and post (or even email) pics of Porsche brake molds, because "everyone talks about" them being molded with holes, not drilled after the fact.

I'm not saying they don't break, but I wonder just how often they really do, and under what conditions.

That said, it looks like UMI has finally cracked that nut anyway. (here's hoping at least lol)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good performance front end alignment will go a long ways in at least making the steering feel more responsive and less numb. The primary factor in how it feels is the Toe. Toe-in gives the car more of a tendency to track straight, and can result in that numb feeling, where the car doesn't really want to turn when you turn the steering wheel. Toe-out will make the car easier to turn, but can result in twitchy steering at higher speeds. A little bit of Toe-out is usually what's needed to give a good steering response feeling. No more than about 1/16" though, 1/32" is probably best for a vehicle that sees mostly street driving, or you'll get that twitchiness at higher speeds (and abnormal tire wear as well)

Camber and Caster can usually be maxed out on an otherwise stock vehicle. Even lowered vehicles aren't going to be able to go much more than about -1.5º Camber or about 5º of Caster. Those settings aren't going to cause any noticably abnormal tire wear, and if you drive even moderately aggressive, these settings will be ideal. Up to -1.0º of Camber is still going to be fine for a car that's driven fairly easily (though if you're driving easily, why the concern over handling anyways?)

I'm running around on -0.9º Camber (most I could evenly get on my car), and I still see too much wear on the outside of the tires. Lowering springs should get me a bit more Camber, but I don't know if it's still going to be enough. I'm a pretty aggressive driver though.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by niteriyder
Whats the best way to get the car to feel as nimble as possbile without totally gutting the thing to where comfort is compromised, or is it hopeless on a chassis this old and this heavy?And is there any way to fix the heavy/numb steering in our cars?
A little less than two months ago I swapped out the stock shocks and springs for Koni SA shocks and an Eibach Pro-Kit. I would highly recommend Koni shocks if you want your car to handle (be more nimble and responsive), they are simply the best. You can keep the stock springs w/ Koni's or if you want a drop you can look into different spring manufacturers because each manufacturer offers a different ride height. After I did the spring/shock swap I noticed immediately that the car feels way more responsive and much more nimble, almost like it's dancing on tip toes like a balerina now I haven't got to the sway bars yet, but will when I get the $$. Just my $.02.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

My 01 Z felt good both on the street and while I was Auto Xing. I had different shocks, sways, DD SFC, STD, LCA's, Adj PHR, Adj Tq Arm, and a good set of sticky tires. Believe it or not, one of the things that is forgotten the most that I feel is very important is tires. A good set of tires alone will make your car feel different.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by niteriyder
Call teh Strano.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Good call on the tires Z O SICK and you can't go wrong with JohnTre's suggestion either. I would definitely call Sam Strano and talk to him about your setup and what you want to get out of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

dump your 300 pound girlfreind.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Yeah, but it went in before all the bad news had
started coming out. Too hard to mess with it now,
unless I see it starting to crack.
personally, i wouldnt worry. just keep an eye on it once and a while i guess
Old 07-20-2006, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slap a set of Nitto RII's on all 4 corners and realize the difference. Tires help a TON!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viper
Slap a set of Nitto RII's on all 4 corners and realize the difference. Tires help a TON!
It's amazing that alot of folks overlook good rubber. Try some Michelin PS2 or BFG KD's up front for great steering response.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Launching!

I noticed a good difference in responsiveness on my car when after getting Michelin PS2's. Although a tad pricey they are worth the money. Excellent tires.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

How do you go about getting this "performance alignment"? You cant just walk in Dobbs and ask for one so how do you guys do this? I ask because I am possibily getting Koni SA shocks and lowering springs.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

You will have to find a place that does custom alignments.

Quick Reply: best way to nimbleness on an F body