Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Originally Posted by JeremyT
Does the "Show Marketplace Search not appear for you, as shown:
Larry
Mine does not show that tab after the "search box" is closed but I don't care, I'm just glad that box is gone.

One more question though, when I collapse the search box and click on people adds and go back to the main parts page that box will come up for a split second and then go back hidden. What’s up with this or is it just my computer???? It comes up and goes back down sooo fast and it shifts my whole screen back and forth.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom565
Mine does not show that tab after the "search box" is closed but I don't care, I'm just glad that box is gone.

One more question though, when I collapse the search box and click on people adds and go back to the main parts page that box will come up for a split second and then go back hidden. What’s up with this or is it just my computer???? It comes up and goes back down sooo fast and it shifts my whole screen back and forth.
The behavior you describe with the search box reappearing and then disappearing is "normal" as the preference is remembered and applied.

The behavior with the search box tab not showing so that you can re-enable the feature, after it's disabled, is not normal (of course) and just trying to help track down the issue. I know it works as intended on my FireFox 3.5.7 regardless of the theme.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea first time I saw that hide search thing I clicked it and now when I go to the classifieds I See it for .3 seconds and its gone and I cant figure out a way to get it back not that I'm complaining. I'm using IE
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest, I've still got issues with the fact that LS vehicles doesn't mean LS vehicles, it could be any vehicle. Likewise for the Non LS vehicles section. I know you've (Adrian) said to just report it to the mods but don't they ever browse it themselves? How hard can it be to handle this? If it's too hard to move it, then just have them deleted. Surely the op of the thread will figure out why it's gone when he can't find it.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Yeah I saw that link in somebodys sig and that's how I found this thread. Pretty sad really that they would lock the one that actually shows WITHOUT A DOUBT what we all want

THERE SHOULD BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN ALL THE SECTIONS SO EVERYONE ON THE BOARD HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO VOTE.

....thought the same thing but that might make too much sense
yeah apparently if you want to run anything these days you have the IQ of a glue sniffer.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NSSANE02

THERE SHOULD BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN ALL THE SECTIONS SO EVERYONE ON THE BOARD HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO VOTE.

....thought the same thing but that might make too much sense
Agreed.

They should just 100% wipe out the entire section and put it back the way it was. The sellers will be happy to re-post their own ads so the mods don't have to move them all back one by one.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM
IB

Sorry to ruffle your feathers but it seems most of us are pissed off these days about this BS Classified overhaul. I appreciate you guys do this as a service and it is a thankless job. So thank you.
This is what I'm getting at since there are 3 friggin *links*, cut it down to LS and Non-LS for parts and vehicles and USE THEM as dedicated sub forums and not search queries or delete the links. Simple concept. This obviously speaks to IB rather than the moderators. Thanks again,

Larry
I can remove the links, the issue is that then you won't be able to select via LS engines/non LS engines.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
8 Second Club

the new classifieds sucks
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

i just hate to see a mazda RX8 in the freakin LS section...damn near as bad as typing camaro into a craigslist search...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
the new classifieds sucks
Yes it does!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like how any solution other than keeping these shitty *** classifieds is ignored. just pure ignorance right there gents.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I can remove the links, the issue is that then you won't be able to select via LS engines/non LS engines.
Thanks for the reply but isn't that what the new search function is for? I don't know because I've not used it since the change. Thanks,

Larry
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM
IB

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i just hate to see a mazda RX8 in the freakin LS section...damn near as bad as typing camaro into a craigslist search...
If you do see that - you can report it to the moderators
Originally Posted by rons 00z
i like how any solution other than keeping these shitty *** classifieds is ignored. just pure ignorance right there gents.
Sorry - I don't wish to ignore the complaints, but I thought we had discussed a while back that reverting it isn't viable as we would have to move each post back one by one.
I do know one gentleman suggested just shutting them down and starting over - which indeed would work from a technical standpoint, but my experience is that if people get upset over us putting some buttons on the left of the page so you can find things better (and you can hide I might add), deleting their classified ad would make them majorly pissed. (on edit - the user that made that suggestion was you, I didn't realize)

I am trying to implement as many suggestions as possible to improve the experience to what you are after.
If people had expressed their displeasure when we announced we were going to change it and we asked for feedback, we frankly wouldn't have gone ahead with it. Read the first page of the thread - in a week long time where we asked for feedback on this new idea we had (and it was announced across every forum on the site), 15 people responded, 4 of them saying that "they hope it doesn't bundle up search results" (which it shouldn't) - the rest liked the idea.
Based on that feedback, we changed it - and now we are in a position where we are unable to go back.

I don't want to sound like an ******* - but given our situation, what do you suggest we do?
Or at least what do you suggest we do in the future if we have something that we feel might improve the site - how would you prefer us to go about it?
Thanks for the reply but isn't that what the new search function is for? I don't know because I've not used it since the change. Thanks,

Larry
It is what the new search is for - but it seems as a number of people don't like using the search box on the left, so I tried to create something similar to what people were previously used to.

Adrian
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about my response above? Why should we have to report when we see an LT1 or a Mazda in the LS section? Don't the mods see the same things we do?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

I do know one gentleman suggested just shutting them down and starting over - which indeed would work from a technical standpoint, but my experience is that if people get upset over us putting some buttons on the left of the page so you can find things better (and you can hide I might add), deleting their classified ad would make them majorly pissed. (on edit - the user that made that suggestion was you, I didn't realize)
I know it has the potential to **** a few people off, but given the feedback here and in the "other" thread, don't you think it's at least worth making a new poll for people to express their opinions?

If people had expressed their displeasure when we announced we were going to change it and we asked for feedback, we frankly wouldn't have gone ahead with it. Read the first page of the thread - in a week long time where we asked for feedback on this new idea we had (and it was announced across every forum on the site), 15 people responded, 4 of them saying that "they hope it doesn't bundle up search results" (which it shouldn't) - the rest liked the idea.
Based on that feedback, we changed it - and now we are in a position where we are unable to go back.
To be honest, you went about this the right way. But most people probably just ignored the original notice. But now that everyone has seen the change and experienced the new setup, there is no denying that the majority here are unhappy with it. So with that knowledge, can you really just ignore the overwhelming push to get it changed back?

I think the biggest issue here is that most people here just like to look through some of the new posts to find good deals or rare parts (nothing specific) and with the new setup you can't really do that without having to sift through a bunch of other not related crap (LS vs non LS)

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
What about my response above? Why should we have to report when we see an LT1 or a Mazda in the LS section? Don't the mods see the same things we do?
I think that's the general idea but there aren't enough mods to find every misplaced thread instantly.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Obviously a majority of the listings that are in the classifieds section are already sold, you are simply archiving them at this point. Less than 10% of the listings in the section will probably have to be re-posted. Just wipe it all out. Each person redoing one listing is much more doable than you moving thousands listings one by one (most of them are not active anymore)

he new classifieds will always be flawed because the people posting the ads do not click the correct boxes as far the ls or non ls.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How do express displeasure with something ahead of time, ..., when you do not have any experience with the new system?

I would imagine that everyone who noticed the early posting of change, simply thought it would be for the better. (Which it obvioulsy turned out to be the opposite, ...)
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so chaging it back is not going to happen. why dont we add more sections to organize it better? there needs to be a engine, suspension, power adder, etc. right now with everything all in one list it's almost impossible for mods to keep up with it and users to keep anything on the first three pages in one day to even sell anything.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont want to search for cars from other sites. WTF is up with that. I didnt come here to search cars.com or whatever the **** website it links to. This is bullshit. Revert it back, nobody is going to give a **** if their free ad got deleted when they can post another free ad anyways...that more people will be able to find easier. Its just a ******* mess the way it is now. Way to take down the poll too. How offended IB must be that people actually care about this site and dont want it to be a cookie cutter link infested piece of ****. We are a ******* community and for the most part trust each other and thats why we specifically search just these classifieds and avoid ebay and others. Thanks for trying to ruin that.

Last edited by ss1129; 02-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

I apologize if this has been asked and/or answered beforehand. Why are there two links that say NonLS and LS vehicles that doesn't seem to do anything? It actually separates the parts into both categories for the most part.

Secondly when I click on vehicle classifieds it shows the year/make/model, price etc for each car. When I choose NonLS or LS vehicles none of the information shows up.
I'm using Chrome if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Updated Classifieds!