Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Edit: Brute speed procharger in my future

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Edit: Brute speed procharger in my future

Edit: After doing research the brute speed procharger kits seem to be the best way to go! Can't wait to have funds to buy one !

Last edited by sweet99ss; 03-18-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

subscribed.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't run hawks kit specifically but I do have that setup on my car. You could probably run a Magnavolt if you dont want to change fuel pumps. Do some searching, there is pleanty of info on here (and from me specifically) that will tell you just about everything you might want to know about a maggie on a 4th gen.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

^Any pictures sir? I did a good amount of searching and didnt find much on you. Whered you get your kit?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I haven't run hawks kit specifically but I do have that setup on my car. You could probably run a Magnavolt if you dont want to change fuel pumps. Do some searching, there is pleanty of info on here (and from me specifically) that will tell you just about everything you might want to know about a maggie on a 4th gen.
I think the guy from hawks said the kit does come with the magnavolt. I'd probably run it like that for awhile tell I could get a better one. or just do it all at once. Care to link some of your post's? I am searching and can't find much.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
So the only place I can find this kit is hawks third gen. I emailed them asking if the kit was 100% complete and he emailed me back saying it came with everything needed to bolt-on with injectors and all. The only thing needed is a better fuel pump. So to me this looks like a pretty good deal. I will probably either go with this kit or a procharger. Is anybody running this kit? Have anymore information about it?
While I agree that the stocker might keep up with fuel demands using the magnavolt, Id be nervous as a cat covering up **** as to when the stocker might give up. It would hurt the wallet more to have it die on a WOT run and cost the engine than to just order the racetronix kit with hotwire and be done with it. If your gonna go FI trust me, **** will go wrong, why? Because..... Just my .02 GL with build...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
While I agree that the stocker might keep up with fuel demands using the magnavolt, Id be nervous as a cat covering up **** as to when the stocker might give up. It would hurt the wallet more to have it die on a WOT run and cost the engine than to just order the racetronix kit with hotwire and be done with it. If your gonna go FI trust me, **** will go wrong, why? Because..... Just my .02 GL with build...
Ohh I will be getting a better fuel pump no doubt. Probably would put it in before I even started the car. Btw you wanna give me some info on what all tends to "go wrong"? I'm sure it happens alot, but I'd like to stay away from wrong as much as possible if I can lol. I'm not trying to make 150+ hp. I'd be happy with the kit and a dynotune I'm sure. I think the kit is more perfect for me because I'm not looking to make 200 more hp because than everything will start to break. I'm looking for about a 100hp increase with my favorite sound/look in the world (maggie).
Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh I will be getting a better fuel pump no doubt. Probably would put it in before I even started the car. Btw you wanna give me some info on what all tends to "go wrong"? I'm sure it happens alot, but I'd like to stay away from wrong as much as possible if I can lol. I'm not trying to make 150+ hp. I'd be happy with the kit and a dynotune I'm sure. I think the kit is more perfect for me because I'm not looking to make 200 more hp because than everything will start to break. I'm looking for about a 100hp increase with my favorite sound/look in the world (maggie).
Sure, lets see, pin the crank, a spun balancer is a wasted engine IMO. Fuel pump, and all fuel related relays n fuses need to be replaced, cheap insurance... I know someone who had a 03 lightning and a fuel pump relay cost them a motor. Does the belt system have a spring loaded tensioner or is it like the basic procharger kit? Is the belt sys an 8rib? If not, then trying to pulley up the blower for a decent ammount of boost might cause some slip and thats a nighmare in itself. Belt slip on my old 03 Cobra with a 2.75 upper was a bitch. All I can think of right now. Your system is different than the Vortech I have so problems will be diff but those will remain constant. I commented some in another thread in this section titled S/C, P/C, or M/C... 2nd page 3rd post, something to think about...

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 12-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Pics? Come on now, they're in my profile. Here's a link tho

more here

And here are several good threads full of info, pics, write ups, installs and issues with maggies on fbodys.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-fi-route.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...d-adapter.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s1-f-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...y-tvs2300.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...er-owners.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ail-order.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ification.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...all-my-ss.html

As far as running out of fuel at WOT the engine goes lean, creates detonation and a piston or pistons siezes. At that point the rod or rods let go and exit through the side of the block.

It's usually just the pump that goes out. By all means do the upgrade with racetronix for piece of mind. I was only mentioning the magnavolt incase you weren't aware the kit is supposed to come with one.

As far as belt issues are concerned the kit comes with a 3.4" or 3.1" pulley depending on who spec'd it. I run the smallest one possible which is a 2.5". My car makes 11.4lbs of boost on stock heads and cam. 463hp 546tq. It runs the same 6 rib pulley system as the factory belt. The kit does come with a crank pin kit (which I doubt you would spin if the motor failed). Belt slip has been an issue in the past, I only run the gator back belts. You can use the factory tensioner but I went with a manual one from Katech. I have heard the ls3 tensioner is better than the ls1 but I dont have any proof. The manual one works just fine for me.

If your expectations are only around 100 hp gain I personally dont see belt slip or fueling issues being much of a concern.

Good luck with it. Mine is a blast to drive on the street.

Last edited by kyoytey1693; 12-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you have to cut your hood? In one of those threads I believe on an SS he had to cut up the hood..
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I had to cut the center support some on my factory WS6 hood. That was the worst part. Everyone I had talked to said there was no hood cutting at all. It made me sick. But the cut is barely noticeable and there are no issues with hood flexing, cracking, etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

What if I only wanted to pick up 100 extra hp and I ran a kit non intercooled?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would run it non-intercooled only on E85.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't waste my time with a non IC kit. Heat soak will absolutely kill you at that point. The IC's aren't the most effective but certainly better than not having one. With the way the power would drop off on the non IC kit you could run a nitrous kit and it would last about as long. Plus it would be a lot cheaper. I realize nos isnt what you want I'm just saying it for comparison sake.... Plus most of us have thought 100 extra hp would be good enough but it never is. I say get the IC
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Yes I had to cut the center support some on my factory WS6 hood. That was the worst part. Everyone I had talked to said there was no hood cutting at all. It made me sick. But the cut is barely noticeable and there are no issues with hood flexing, cracking, etc.
For me this basically puts Procharger over the top. From what I saw cutting the cowl wasnt noticeable even though it would kill me to hack **** up. Spacing the k-member seemed like a crazy idea but no one reported problems so I was fine with that, but I think it was Joblo who has a Maggie. His hood was noticeably cut up and its something Im just not willing to do. Plus the only ones who sell this kit still are MTI and Hawks. While I know nothing about Hawks, you seem to have a lot of complaints about MTI. I guess there is a reason only a few Maggie 4th Gen F-bodys are running around...
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mac62989
For me this basically puts Procharger over the top. From what I saw cutting the cowl wasnt noticeable even though it would kill me to hack **** up. Spacing the k-member seemed like a crazy idea but no one reported problems so I was fine with that, but I think it was Joblo who has a Maggie. His hood was noticeably cut up and its something Im just not willing to do. Plus the only ones who sell this kit still are MTI and Hawks. While I know nothing about Hawks, you seem to have a lot of complaints about MTI. I guess there is a reason only a few Maggie 4th Gen F-bodys are running around...
Yep. That pretty much says it all. Had I known that cutting the hood was required I wouldn't have bought it at that time. Looking back, I'm glad I did. It's negligable to me at this point. I dont plan on ever getting rid of the car or trying to make it a 6 figure Barret Jackson car 40 years from now. And I am very happy with the performance. Sure I want more, I want a lot more. But modding my cars is what is fun for me and so are the challenges. I totally agree that a Procharger is leaps and bounds ahead of this setup. Hands down. I think those of us that go the maggie route do it for the same reasons some guys have put an IRS in their f-body, or the guys that prefer the LT1 over an LS. It just comes down to personal preferences.

MTI is absolutely worthless, I dont recommend that anyone do business with them ever. You will also notice that their members are all banned from this site.... That seems to speak volumes to me.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Looks like I'm leaning towards procharger also. I am gonna call Bob and brute speed on of these days and see how much I can get a complete kit for. Procharger looks good especially after watching this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZZL...ure=plpp_video
Old 12-23-2011, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Looks like I'm leaning towards procharger also. I am gonna call Bob and brute speed on of these days and see how much I can get a complete kit for. Procharger looks good especially after watching this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZZL...ure=plpp_video
Give me a call. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice video. Thats a sick Hawk!

Quick Reply: Edit: Brute speed procharger in my future