General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Your experiences at the Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your experiences at the Dealership

I was just thinking how it would be a good idea for the LS1 guys to post their personal experiences at dealerships -- good/bad/cleaned up act. This info would prepare others for future dealer work -- you know, stop rip-offs and all-around lack of knowledge some of us have with maybe cars or how dealers work.

I will start,

Sheldon Pontiac in Rochester Hills, MI. on Avon and Rochester.

1st time there, had gas gauge cluster taken out and repaired/retested and reinstalled. Few months later it moves by itself again, so go back in about 6 months. I dropped car off and it did not act up while it was there so they charged me a half hour worth of labor and rep. that waiting on me said it would be taken off my next deductible.

So I am back this 3rd time and am talking to a different rep. this time but the other one from last time hears me and walks up and says right after I said I put a gallon and a half before comeing in and think I have about 1/8 tank now even known needles is reading way under E, the rep. says if we drop the tank and its empty its going to be CP or something like that. Basically saying I was lieing, hmmmmm.

So they won't replace sending unit upon my request, but instead took guage out and reposition needle, as they said. So I mentioned that they already took the cluster out and fixed and reinstalled and assumed they would have repositioned then. Dealer replys that it was sent out then and they don't know what they did and now its being done in house. So I guess they don't know what the company they send work out to do does actually, hmmmm. Also told me info such as "in automatic cars it takes 5 minutes after you start the car for the gas gauge to read correct and in our manual cars under a 1/4 of a tank it will move and not read completely accurate."

So the head guy at the dealer tells me they will replace the sending unit although they think that is not the problem, if I want it done, but will cost me another $100 deductible. So I say pass and hope that the "repositioning" fixes it, but doubt it. And I ask to have that money from last time taken off the deductible like I was told, and the head guy there says it will not be and is not sure where I got that from. hmmmm, looks like you need to have everything written down and signed, guess this was my mistake, but at the time took the rep. at his word.

Also while I was trying to contact the rep I was working with this time, I somehow had the old rep. answer the phone and when he found out it was me, he told me to hang tight cause they were discussing the situation, and then instead of saying "bye" or ending the conversation he just hangs up on me, hmmmm.

I also took the car in for what ended up being a check air valve which I asked the head guy at the dealer to tell me what it was and he did not know, hmmm. To be fair, the new rep. I had, even though uninformed because new, was very pleasant and seems to actually care about my car and about me as a customer. But I am going to try and stay away from this dealer if possible.

Side note: Do not get a rental car through the dealer unless your car is both staying overnight for work and is unsafe to drive, because they will charge you for it if it's not both.

Last edited by ACW; 09-01-2005 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding paragraph breaks for readability
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a few comments here where people mentioned dealership names (most of the time, they don't) in regard to service:

negative:
Long Lewis Ford
Hoover, AL
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/264644-dealership-screwing-over-local-ford-guy.html

negative:
Bill Kay Pontiac GMC
Downers Grove, IL
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/132795-gm-warranty-engine-replacement.html

negative:
Smokey Point Pontiac Buick GMC
Arlington, WA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members/328764-whew-finally-made.html

negative:
Murray Chevrolet
Gresham, OR
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members/331647-beware-dealer.html

negative:
Berger Chevrolet
Grand Rapids, MI
https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/372837-berger-service-dept.html

positive:
Ernie Guzman Pontiac GMC
Houston, TX
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/5753-most-effective-way-break-t56.html

positive:
Vista Ridge Pontiac Buick GMC
Carrollton, TX
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/205158-un-bastard-dealership.html

positive:
Kirkland Pontiac Buick GMC
Kirkland WA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328764

positive:
Dwayne Lane's Chevrolet
Arlington, WA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328764

Found a really nice site with reviews/ratings on many dealerships - they could always use more, of course: http://www.dealerrater.com/search/dealers.asp

Also about 200 dealership comments here, but not nearly as organized of a site: http://www.my3cents.com/search.cgi?c...&industry=DEAL
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Thats very useful, thanks ACW
Old 09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Dunlop Pontiac
Bay City, MI

Long story short. They fixed my leaky pinion seal in October. In June the rear end leaked. Asked in June if it was covered by 12/12000 warranty. Yes. Scheduled once. They cancelled since only technician hurt his hand. Rescheduled. Go in at 7:30 am to be checked in. Told them I am going to wait there. Supposed to take an hour. 8:45 they actually take the car out of the entrance bay. 10:20 they tell me it is a differential seal and it will cost me 150. I told them I wanted full synthetic mobil1 in the rear. They had to check on it. 10:55 I found the service rep and asked him what the hold up was. Can't locate M1 fluid. They tell me GM uses full sythetic. Fine put it in I want to go home. The tech started another car and will be another hour. 12 pm The tech has to go to lunch. 1pm he comes back to finish the other car. 1:30pm He starts my car. 3:15 pm He finishes my car. 8 Hours for a one hour job! The head rep finds me and says "Sorry for the wait, here is a coupon free for a car wash."

(Take a good long look at my TA. You will never see it again.) I thought. I am never taking any of my vehicles back there.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Garber Chevrolet
Midland, MI

Grey 99 Silverado got sideswiped. Took it to their body shop under insurance and got a new driver rear lens fixed the rear quarter panel. They repainted the side. We got it back and the paints don't match. take it back #2. They repaint it and it they get overspray on the drivers door. take it back #3. Get the overspray fixed and now the door panel doesn't match. take it back #4. They finally get the rear quarter and door to match the rest of the truck and now there is paint overspray on the window. take it back #5. We now noticed the new tail light is orange and the other is red. take it back #6. It is finally repaired to how it was before the crash. They blamed all of it on the poor lighting and ventilation. Don't take your vehicle back there to be fixed after a crash. That is for sure. Service department is good though.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Good posts
Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lou Lariche Chevrolet (Plymouth, MI)

- Reasonable overall service so far. Have never had a dispute with them so I don't know how things would go - that is when the real ugly shows up.
- They have serviced my 2000 Z28 under GMPP warranty (A/C compressor, cooling flush, IP cluster, belt retractors) and everything seems ok. Took longer than it should have by 2 days but in the end it is ok.
- They have also serviced my 2002 Trailblazer with no complaints (loose sway bar, bad weatherstripping/sealing, tail lamp recall)
- Thier maintenence prices seem fair and overall it seems like a pretty cut and dry shop for a dealership, not fancy, not particularly friendly, just in and out like a factory, which is fine by me.

Bob Jeanotte Pontiac-GMC (Plymouth, MI)

-High service part prices.
-Service manager completely unwilling to do anything to help. Would not service my GM Certified used Z28 because it was a "Chevrolet" and not a "Pontiac". If you didn't buy your car there, avoid them. Unfortunately from what I've seen this is a common theme with dealerships.
-Very bad attitude, condensending tone. Service manager told me he could care less if I had a GM warranty or not, he didn't have to look at my car if he didn't want to. I've bought probably 15k worth of service parts there because it is close to my work, and will never be going back there again.

Mark Chevrolet (Dearborn, MI)

- Best service part prices I've found locally. In some cases comparable to internet, and much better than places like Bob Jeanotte which charge at or near list. No service department experience.

Tim Lally Chevrolet (Bedford, OH)

- This is where I bought my 2000 Z28 from, as it was a GM Certified Used and they happened to have it. I would stay far, far away from this dealership if it is by you.
- In my case they knew I lived 3 hours away and thus no support from them after sale. Salesman fell off the face of the planet post sale (Walter Brown). Karma will ensure he gets his sooner or later. If this post costs his grubby self just one sale, I will feel better.
- Took 6 weeks (standard is 1-3) to get my GM Certified used warranty into the system. Service manager attempted to deny it was even sold as a Certified used car. Had to get Chevrolet customer service involved.
- Totally ignored any requests post-sale.
- Sold me a car with fix-a-flat in one of the tires. Promised that balancing was covered under warranty, which of course it was not. Took delivery with the vibration figuring it was balance and then found the fix a flat.
- Denied any body work having been done on the vehicle. When it was obvious it had been, overspray, etc.
- Certified used car also had many problems, most of which I've gotten fixed two months later under Certified used warranty and much time with GM customer service.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ed Morse Chevrolet( North Palm Beach, Fl.)

Brought my SS there 3 times.
1) Alternator was bad. Brought it there Friday afternoon and got it back a few hours later. Was very surprised.
2) My friend installed my Pro 5.0 and one night it came loose. Took it to them and they fixed it. A few days later became loose again so i just took it to a mechanic so i didnt have to deal with those grease monkeys again.
3) Right before my warranty was up i went in to have the window motors replaced. Only 1 was really bad, but they replaced both for me.

All in all, ive got great service from these guys. The service managers are very good. They get stuff done on time, and they've never given me a problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

hey guys we all at the dealership strive to take care of you guys the best we can. we are not all perfect. i have had many costumers leave happy and a few not so. but of course you always hear more about the negative than the positive. it gets old when some one brings in a lifted 1/2 ton truck with aftermarket tires and wheels complaining about a noise or something broke. "i was driving down the road and my tie rod just broke off" heard it to many times.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Schaffer Automall
Pinnconning, Michigan

Took my Bonneville there to get my fan fixed since the defroster wouldn't work. I told them that I was going to wait. Knowing that they told me about 2 hours for a wait. During the wait was offered a ride anywhere in town. Food and beverages were available to purchase. I was in and out in the time promised. The actual price was less than the estimate.

Took the TA there for an oil change. They were extra carefull with the vehicle, they even let me in the back to watch them put in the M1 in the engine. They even pointed out that there was a small leak and tried to fix it. Just had to pay 8 bucks for service and disposal fees

Customer service is always top notch. They are kind and polite. They try to go the extra mile for the customer. They try to make everything as easy for the customer as possible.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Quality Chevrolet, Escondido, CA
Car: '98 Monte Carlo Z34 purchased from them.
Took the car in regularly for service.
Service dept was difficult to deal with, had to push on every little problem to make them warranty ligit stuff. I had to "pull rank", so to speak, showing them my "Mr. Goodwrench" certs, to get them to admit the warpped rotors were NOT my fault and get them replaced under warranty.
Their opinion on any mod: "Voids Warranty"!
When I descided to buy an F-body, I told the salesman who sold us the Monte that I would NOT buy a Z from them!

Young Pontiac-Cadillac, Escondido, CA
I bought the T/A here. Right across the street from Quality Chev. These people treated me like I was buying an Escalade (sp?)! Because I was a "AAA" member, I got the T/A for $45 over invoice!
First time I complained about warpped rotors, they took care of them with NO argument. Same with the T-Top weather strips leaking, squeeling fan belt idler pulley and driver's door motor.
I always took it to them for oil and filter, $2 [/U]less[U] than Quality Chev, AND they always wanted to give the T/A a courtesy wash!

"Blackwell-Baldwin GMC-Pontiac", Poplar Bluff, MO
We moved here from CA
Same story as "Young". Friendly, cooperative and willing to please.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:37 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Just saw another one

negative:
Lone Star Chevrolet
Houston, TX
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/241542-lone-star-chevrolet-service-dept-sucks.html
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Regular

negative

Lee Johnson Chevrolet/Mazda
Kirkland, WA

Made a mistake of turning in for out-of-warranty repairs/engine ping diagnostics. They charged me through the roof, gave me a lot of "it's supposed to be like that" stories, and never really fixed anything (to give them credit, they did replace two of my cats "successfully"). They could not even get me a correct ashtray cover after charging me for it first. Service rep was nice enough but techs are either completely unfamiliar with f-bodies or just plain incompetent.