Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick Flow's 205cc heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys

Thanks for the interest in our new 205 head. I wanted to clarify this post so that the members would understand where this head fits into our lineup. The head was designed with the primary market being the 5.3L. While it will work well on a LS1 application when matched with a “small” camshaft, we intentionally shrunk back the intake port to work well with the smaller intake valve we needed to fit the “small bore” LS applications. This head with either our TFS-30602002 or TFS-30602003 camshaft will not make more power than our 215 cylinder head in an LS1 application. The 215 head has proven itself to be an excellent performing head when used with what we consider a well designed camshaft.

On the other hand for a 5.3, the head works exceptionally well. For example, we used a stock 5.3 shortblock, with the stock truck intake, stock throttle body, a small TFS camshaft, it makes excellent power yet will still retain very nice idle quality.

GM 5.3 HO 19165542

TFS-30500001-C00 Heads 10.28/1

TFS-30602001 Cam 216/220 @ .050 560/560

Truck Manifold / 78mm Throttle body

The 205 head does not have the same airflow characteristics as our 215 head, and that is truly by design. But with a 2” intake valve, 205 CC Intake port, and 58 cc chamber, this head will work very well for 5.3, which is the primary application this head was designed for. Will it work on an LS1-absolutely! But, depending on the camshaft you choose, our 215 head will be a better choice for a majority of people due to the camshaft they want to run with it, and the added potential of the larger intake runner, bigger intake valve that can be used with the larger LS1 bore, etc.

Please let us know if we can answer any questions you may have.

Thanks

Trickflow Tech
Attached Thumbnails Trick Flow's 205cc heads-stock-5.3-v-tfs-kit.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
Guys

Thanks for the interest in our new 205 head. I wanted to clarify this post so that the members would understand where this head fits into our lineup. The head was designed with the primary market being the 5.3L. While it will work well on a LS1 application when matched with a “small” camshaft, we intentionally shrunk back the intake port to work well with the smaller intake valve we needed to fit the “small bore” LS applications. This head with either our TFS-30602002 or TFS-30602003 camshaft will not make more power than our 215 cylinder head in an LS1 application. The 215 head has proven itself to be an excellent performing head when used with what we consider a well designed camshaft.

On the other hand for a 5.3, the head works exceptionally well. For example, we used a stock 5.3 shortblock, with the stock truck intake, stock throttle body, a small TFS camshaft, it makes excellent power yet will still retain very nice idle quality.

GM 5.3 HO 19165542

TFS-30500001-C00 Heads 10.28/1

TFS-30602001 Cam 216/220 @ .050 560/560

Truck Manifold / 78mm Throttle body

The 205 head does not have the same airflow characteristics as our 215 head, and that is truly by design. But with a 2” intake valve, 205 CC Intake port, and 58 cc chamber, this head will work very well for 5.3, which is the primary application this head was designed for. Will it work on an LS1-absolutely! But, depending on the camshaft you choose, our 215 head will be a better choice for a majority of people due to the camshaft they want to run with it, and the added potential of the larger intake runner, bigger intake valve that can be used with the larger LS1 bore, etc.

Please let us know if we can answer any questions you may have.

Thanks

Trickflow Tech
That makes more sense and clarifys things. I have 98 LS1 heads with the following mods 61,000 miles, car made 380 RWHP 351 TQ are these the best heads for my application? I DO NOT WANT TO LOST BOTTOM END POWER! I have the LMR LSX cam (not too big not too small) sorry I no not have the specs. Good set of heads are next I have herd good things about TF and I just need to know which ones to buy?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

Good post trick flow. I think that cleared a lot of things up for people.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jester ls1
That makes more sense and clarifys things. I have 98 LS1 heads with the following mods 61,000 miles, car made 380 RWHP 351 TQ are these the best heads for my application? I DO NOT WANT TO LOST BOTTOM END POWER! I have the LMR LSX cam (not too big not too small) sorry I no not have the specs. Good set of heads are next I have herd good things about TF and I just need to know which ones to buy?
Yes these heads would be an great choice for what you are trying to achieve.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

So is the Torquer v.2 to big for these heads?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by larrygto
So is the Torquer v.2 to big for these heads?

Not at all, it would work awesome.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

We have installed these heads on a 4.8 and picked up 27rwhp across the board. Stock compression.... Bang for the buck this is a GREAT option
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
We have installed these heads on a 4.8 and picked up 27rwhp across the board. Stock compression.... Bang for the buck this is a GREAT option
27 rwhp at/below 3000 rpm and at power peak rpm? Now that would be impressive.

Ya'll just have to post those dyno charts. 27 rwhp @ 3000 is 47+ lb ft, and at the tires. TRICKFLOW only showed about 10 lb-ft at the flywheel @ 3000 with a 5.3 (not a 4.8) in their posted dynochart.

A tad more info to support you claim whould certainly be helpful.

Jon

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

I dont need anymore info to support "my claim"... The truck is currently the fastest 4.8 listed on any forum or source for this type of info.. We did the A/B testing and I posted the end result.... Feel free to head on back to Hardcore and bash away
Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the info Trickflow
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont need anymore info to support "my claim"... The truck is currently the fastest 4.8 listed on any forum or source for this type of info.. We did the A/B testing and I posted the end result.... Feel free to head on back to Hardcore and bash away
Ron,

Why should anyone believe your power/performance claims if you don't offer any data to back them up? Sorry, but that makes you sound like the ShamWOW guy on those TV commercials we all love. I must admit that they probably sell a lot of ShamWOWs, but just not to me.

I have no doubts that you could get 27 rwhp from those heads on a 4.8. The Trickflow chart showed over 70 fwhp at high rpm on a 5.3. I was only questioning how you got 27 rwhp "across the board" especially at low rpm.

Do you think I am bashing you because I ask you direct questions about supporting your claims? Is that "engaging in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism"?

Ron, bashing you on HC would just be "preaching to the choir", wouldn't it?

Jon
Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Sorry, but that makes you sound like the ShamWOW guy on those TV commercials we all love. I must admit that they probably sell a lot of ShamWOWs, but just not to me.
"[/I]?

lol...
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ron,

Why should anyone believe your power/performance claims if you don't offer any data to back them up? Sorry, but that makes you sound like the ShamWOW guy on those TV commercials we all love. I must admit that they probably sell a lot of ShamWOWs, but just not to me.

I have no doubts that you could get 27 rwhp from those heads on a 4.8. The Trickflow chart showed over 70 fwhp at high rpm on a 5.3. I was only questioning how you got 27 rwhp "across the board" especially at low rpm.

Do you think I am bashing you because I ask you direct questions about supporting your claims? Is that "engaging in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism"?

Jon
No, asking the question is not bashing, but as usual your questions always have an alterior motive to ridicule the person.
The proof is in the way you respond in this thread, always putting down poeple.
I dunno why they allow you to stay here (and don't give me that free America BS), you, your son, and the rest of your harem.

You guys have only one purpose here at LS1tech, is to create chaos.
Anyone can go and check hardcorels1 to read the circus games you play at.
You have 0 tech input here.
When are any of the administrators going to wake up and smell the coffee?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Ron,

Jon

Whats amazing is I can search and search and I can find ZERO posts from you that have TECHNICAL content... All you do is ASK others why their info is valid and question their abilities.. Everyone who knows you KNOWS your antics and your standpoint on Tech and the members/sponsors here... I dont need to validate ANYTHING to you or any of your croanies.... You want to see the gains the TFS heads made.... Go BUILD a heads/cam 4.8 and line it up beside ours.. That will SHOW you all the validity you need...

Dont you have an oil pump bolt to tighten you self proclaimed expert.... LMFAO!!!!

Feel free to post a long drawn out explanation explaining your education and experience and how you are holier than thou... You wont draw me into a pissing match with yourself or your loud mouth brat of a kid

Last edited by Ron@Vengeance; 05-21-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No, asking the question is not bashing, but as usual your questions always have an alterior motive to ridicule the person.
The proof is in the way you respond in this thread, always putting down poeple.
I dunno why they allow you to stay here (and don't give me that free America BS), you, your son, and the rest of your harem.

You guys have only one purpose here at LS1tech, is to create chaos.
Anyone can go and check hardcorels1 to read the circus games you play at.
You have 0 tech input here.
When are any of the administrators going to wake up and smell the coffee?
I guess you miss out on the "fun forum" here not being a paying sponsor, PZ. You really ought to get one of them to include you. You'd like some of the comments about the "harumites". It shows folks in a whole new light. It also exposes their underbellys. One should always be careful of what one posts even in "secure" environments. I'm not a hacker, but that doesn't mean I don't associate with some. Shoot, I have been know to publicly associate with Liberal Democrats, but I repeat myself.

I have, from time to time provided tech input. I won't bore you with it, because you might not be able to recognize it. I might ask if you have provided any factual tech input...but I won't as that could be considered bashing...ahh, but you are not a sponsor so that wouldn't put me in jeopardy, would it?

BTW, in case you never noticed, the part of the First Amendment applying to free speech doesn't really apply on LS1Tech.

Actually my (self-proclaimed) mission here is to help keep the tech claims and "tech" information somewhere near factual. I only comment on stuff that is blatant bovine scat from sources that are trusted by the less-knowledgable folks who spend their hard earned money trying to improve the performance of their cars. I'm not an altruist, as you have noted. I just hate seeing people misled in order to make money. A. Rand, are you listening?

This is certainly a target-rich enviornment for my mission. A long time ago I used US Government aircraft to destroy folks who threatened our liberty. That habit rubbed off on me. Hence my "mission".

BTW, are you an ex-pat?

Regards, as always,

Jon

PS: You ment "ulterior" didn't you? Damn Grrammar Cops!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats amazing is I can search and search and I can find ZERO posts from you that have TECHNICAL content... All you do is ASK others why their info is valid and questions their abilities.. Everyone who knows you KNOWS your antics and your standpoint on Tech and the members/sponsors here... I dont need to validate ANYTHING to you or any of your croanies.... You want to see the gains the TFS heads made.... Go BUILD a heads/cam 4.8 and line it up beside ours.. That will SHOW you all the validity you need...

Dont you have an oil pump bolt to tighten???
The Search function on this forum isn't the best, is it Ron? I had to look under my profile for recent posts to find a few.

Do you see ANY technical content in these 2009 posts of mine? Evidently you missed them. I would be happy to discuss with you any of the technical, metallurgy, heat treating, physics, suspension geometry, etc. issues you don't fully understand in these posts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11466427

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11432582

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11400445

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11365216

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11289885

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11237936

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11190903

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11169145

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11143259

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...l#post11122659

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...-center-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11055624

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post10865421

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...l#post10797189

Most of these posts were to forum MEMBERS who were asking for advice or knowledge, not to sponsors who already know it all.

Ron, if I were building a 4.8 I would probably not choose the Trickflow 205's but that doesn't mean they are not good. You said that you have made them work on a 4.8, so all we ask is for your dyno data. I was not asking you to valadiate anything to ME or my cronies, but rather to the large collection of folks who may be looking for heads for their 5.3 or 4.8 engines and are your potential customers. Some of them may actually base buying decisions on data rather than on unsubstantiated claims. Perhaps you don't cultivate that crowd. You might rethink that.

BTW Ron, why is it that what I say upsets you so much? You have in the past resorted to calling me un-nice names here on the "public" forum. It's too bad the plain members don't have access to the "other" forum.

Regards,

Jon
Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess you miss out on the "fun forum" here not being a paying sponsor, PZ. You really ought to get one of them to include you. You'd like some of the comments about the "harumites". It shows folks in a whole new light. It also exposes their underbellys. One should always be careful of what one posts even in "secure" environments. I'm not a hacker, but that doesn't mean I don't associate with some. Shoot, I have been know to publicly associate with Liberal Democrats, but I repeat myself.

I have, from time to time provided tech input. I won't bore you with it, because you might not be able to recognize it. I might ask if you have provided any factual tech input...but I won't as that could be considered bashing...ahh, but you are not a sponsor so that wouldn't put me in jeopardy, would it?

BTW, in case you never noticed, the part of the First Amendment applying to free speech doesn't really apply on LS1Tech.

Actually my (self-proclaimed) mission here is to help keep the tech claims and "tech" information somewhere near factual. I only comment on stuff that is blatant bovine scat from sources that are trusted by the less-knowledgable folks who spend their hard earned money trying to improve the performance of their cars. I'm not an altruist, as you have noted. I just hate seeing people misled in order to make money. A. Rand, are you listening?

This is certainly a target-rich enviornment for my mission. A long time ago I used US Government aircraft to destroy folks who threatened our liberty. That habit rubbed off on me. Hence my "mission".

BTW, are you an ex-pat?

Regards, as always,

Jon

PS: You ment "ulterior" didn't you? Damn Grrammar Cops!
Believe me I know about the "fun forum" I used to be a moderator on here a while back. And I know about "sponsor protection act" on LS1tech. But I learned that there are many methods to prove one's point without lashing constant ridicule.
Do you think I agree with all the sponsors? Heck no! but it is possible to play the game by modifying and adapting new tactics.
Notice in all our differences, never once did I put down your knowledge. That part I respect. My beef with you and your croanies is the attidude.
You dissagree = ridicule. There are other ways Jon and that requires political finesse and patience.

Nobody is faultless Jon, thanks for the spellcheck (BTW Grammar is only 1 "r" if you see what I mean )
Old 05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

You dont upset me at all... You are, at best good for a laugh, but definately not worth getting upset over. You have the knowledge to HELP others, but unfortunately you would rather question others and their methods instead of sharing yours.

Rest assured I have said plenty in the sponsor forum when you or your croanies names come up... If I could I would copy/paste for all to see the truth about you guys.. Dont worry, I have said it on public and in private forums and unlike you and your asshat son if I ever met you in person I would be just as quick to say it to your face

Now, lets let TrickFlow discuss their new 205 head that is powering the quickest/fastest 4.8 truck known to exist right now

The Search function on this forum isn't the best, is it Ron? I had to look under my profile for recent posts to find a few.

Do you see ANY technical content in these 2009 posts of mine? Evidently you missed them. I would be happy to discuss with you any of the technical, metallurgy, heat treating, physics, suspension geometry, etc. issues you don't fully understand in these posts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11466427

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11432582

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11400445

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11365216

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11289885

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11237936

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11190903

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11169145

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11143259

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...l#post11122659

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...-center-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11055624

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post10865421

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...l#post10797189

Most of these posts were to forum MEMBERS who were asking for advice or knowledge, not to sponsors who already know it all.

Ron, if I were building a 4.8 I would probably not choose the Trickflow 205's but that doesn't mean they are not good. You said that you have made them work on a 4.8, so all we ask is for your dyno data. I was not asking you to valadiate anything to ME or my cronies, but rather to the large collection of folks who may be looking for heads for their 5.3 or 4.8 engines and are your potential customers. Some of them may actually base buying decisions on data rather than on unsubstantiated claims. Perhaps you don't cultivate that crowd. You might rethink that.

BTW Ron, why is it that what I say upsets you so much? You have in the past resorted to calling me un-nice names here on the "public" forum. It's too bad the plain members don't have access to the "other" forum.

Regards,

Jon
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Restricted User

This is a pretty interesting thread.

Hey PZ how do you suggest questioning a sponsors claims without being a topic in the "fun forum"? You say you don't agree with all the claims some of the sponsors make (posibly like the above claim by a sponsor in this thread). You also mentioned the "sponsor protection act", is there a customer protection act? What's to protect the unknowing customer from some of the hype and BS? From some of the post being made in the "fun forum" there is no protection for the customers. And it seems that if anyone even implys that a sponsors product isn't up to par requist for a ban is sent to IB. I've noticed that some of your post and advice has changed for the better sense you've been reading over at HC.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I see no sponsor bashing going on in this thread. For the most part, it's all been very technical. The best info, however; is when sponsors provide graphs and data points to back up their claims. Those who don't only give the appearance of trying to hide something.

Admin.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2018 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 Pat G tuned.
LS1,LS2,LS3,LS7,LT1 Custom Camshaft Specialist For custom camshaft help press here.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Quick Reply: Trick Flow's 205cc heads