Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Sweet!

On another note, how is your RX-7? I haven't heard much about it in a while. Is it all dialed in yet?
I had it pretty well sorted, but it's down completing the auto tranny swap. Should have it back out this spring though.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Sweet! BTW, Happy Birthday dude!

On a different topic; here's why you don't bring your dad with you for a car ride in your sports car (I'm still laughing my *** off!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6_m...ayer_embedded#!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video is awsome!! Funny stuff
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO!! that's too funny!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha, thanks man.

That video is hilarious. I don't let my Dad drive because he'd just mat the ****** the whole time. Then again, his brothers are the quickest men on two wheels.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Hey guys just wanted to share a few pictures from two weeks ago when Steve " tuned by Frost " was in town working on some tunes for Joe and I.

Here are a few from the Trailblazer project Bill Davis and I just finished up. Thing is mean .... Bill and I removed the air/water due to the fact it just flat out didn't work at all and installed a custom built air/air intercooler from Bell Intercoolers. Bill and I also moved the radiator back 2.5 inches and added electric fans, methanol injections and much more....

Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

That TBSS is bad fast! 11's for sure.

Dyno vids!?! Need to hear my car go, "BWAAAAAAH"! lulz.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What was wrong with the air/water?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Lots of horsepowah in those pics!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
That TBSS is bad fast! 11's for sure.

Dyno vids!?! Need to hear my car go, "BWAAAAAAH"! lulz.
All Motor!
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...rent=052-2.mp4

200hp Shot!
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...rent=055-2.mp4

Adam's Car
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...urrent=044.mp4

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
What was wrong with the air/water?
Lets just say the air/water intercooler setup on the truck not even making boost was causing IAT to climb over 150 deg. in 80 deg. weather...
Now with the air/air and Methanol we start under ambient air temp and at the end of three gears when its climbed to its highest we never made it above 118 deg. which made us very happy.. The thing about air/water is it heats up and no matter what size heat exchanger it never cools back down enough... Great for the track...not so great for street/roll racing
Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

^ Nate, that TB SS looks like a mean ****!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Lets just say the air/water intercooler setup on the truck not even making boost was causing IAT to climb over 150 deg. in 80 deg. weather...
Now with the air/air and Methanol we start under ambient air temp and at the end of three gears when its climbed to its highest we never made it above 118 deg. which made us very happy.. The thing about air/water is it heats up and no matter what size heat exchanger it never cools back down enough... Great for the track...not so great for street/roll racing
Sorry, but that is not true. If it was having IAT issues, there was something sub-par in the system. How big of a core? How big of an exchanger? How big of an ice tank? Water has 30 times the thermal conductivity of air. That's not a typo or a figure I pulled out of thin air. That is standard physics. Air has a thermal conductivity value of .025 W/mK, where as water has a thermal conductivity value of .6 W/mK. Water is a better thermal conductor than air. Period. Room temp water will conduct heat away better than room temp air. Period. Same principle behind why our motors are liquid and not air cooled.

Best post regarding this entire matter has to be by mightymouse (he knows a thing or two about having an a2w in a daily driven 8 second car )
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11582335-post12.html

Hence why I dropped my a2a in favor of an a2w per turbo with a single big heat exchanger and a big ice box

Last edited by The Beast; 10-05-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Shuddup Nick!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLLYVapkDe8
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Beast
Sorry, but that is not true. If it was having IAT issues, there was something sub-par in the system. How big of a core? How big of an exchanger? How big of an ice tank? Water has 30 times the thermal conductivity of air. That's not a typo or a figure I pulled out of thin air. That is standard physics. Air has a thermal conductivity value of .025 W/mK, where as water has a thermal conductivity value of .6 W/mK. Water is a better thermal conductor than air. Period. Room temp water will conduct heat away better than room temp air. Period. Same principle behind why our motors are liquid and not air cooled.

Best post regarding this entire matter has to be by mightymouse (he knows a thing or two about having an a2w in a daily driven 8 second car )
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11582335-post12.html

Hence why I dropped my a2a in favor of an a2w per turbo with a single big heat exchanger and a big ice box

How can you say it's not true if you weren't involved with the setup? He's not lying, it was not layed out well. Both the A2W and the heat exchanger were woefully undersized and without cutting the truck up like a race car, that's all there was room for. With that setup, after one pull, the IATs reached almost 180degF and the heat never left until the truck sat overnight. Just cruising would keep it from ever cooling off. With the A2A and two meth nozzles, IATs would barely move to 8 over ambient, and that was at the end of pulling through 3 gears. You can make back to back pulls. I worry more about oil temp than anything.

Remember, this is not a race truck. It's actually a winter driver.

Last edited by Frost; 10-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frost
How can you say it's not true if you weren't involved with the setup? He's not lying, it was not layed out well. Both the A2W and the heat exchanger were woefully undersized and without cutting the truck up like a race car, that's all there was room for. With that setup, after one pull, the IATs reached almost 180degF and the heat never left until the truck sat overnight. Just cruising would keep it from ever cooling off. With the A2A and two meth nozzles, IATs would barely move to 8 over ambient, and that was at the end of pulling through 3 gears. You can make back to back pulls. I worry more about oil temp than anything.

Remember, this is not a race truck. It's actually a winter driver.
Are you even aware that you just confirmed EXACTLY what I was getting at? I don't think I ever called Nate a liar about the setup, and I know that he did not build the initial a2w. If you thought I was saying otherwise, well, that's your bad. The system components were not adequate. Had it been of proper size you wouldn't be seeing temps over ambient. You didn't say anything about an ice box. Did it have one of those at least? I can't stand seeing people say "a2w is bad for a street car" "it heats soaks and won't cool down" yada yada. I drank that kool aid and thought the same thing at first, low and behold, after doing research and talking to people who build literally some of the fastest cars on the planet, I got the facts, and after selling off my old kit with the a2a, I'm piecing together a dual a2w setup for my daily driver. I don't even want to get into the meth debate...

Oh, and I've got a TT LSx RX7, so I don't want to hear anything about not having enough room

Last edited by The Beast; 10-07-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

To each there own Right... The combo just flat didn't work "Whatever" the case....

Hope you have a industrial ice maker and a 30 gallon ice box.. for roll racing and street driving your gonna wanna have the extra ice

Its to bad Mightymouse doesn't post how he melts down his ice box in a one gear pull on the street. I also did the research and also thought about going air/water but after hearing from a tuner who logs/tunes many many cars with both air/water & air/air I think with his input and my real world experience I'll stick with air/air with Methanol.

The trailblazer didn't have an ice box and from everything I could find about the intercooler it was rated for the horse power it was making before we made tune / boost improvements
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NobodyIsSlowerThanMe
Sweet run, Chris. How much spray?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Beast
Are you even aware that you just confirmed EXACTLY what I was getting at? I don't think I ever called Nate a liar about the setup, and I know that he did not build the initial a2w. If you thought I was saying otherwise, well, that's your bad. The system components were not adequate. Had it been of proper size you wouldn't be seeing temps over ambient. You didn't say anything about an ice box. Did it have one of those at least? I can't stand seeing people say "a2w is bad for a street car" "it heats soaks and won't cool down" yada yada. I drank that kool aid and thought the same thing at first, low and behold, after doing research and talking to people who build literally some of the fastest cars on the planet, I got the facts, and after selling off my old kit with the a2a, I'm piecing together a dual a2w setup for my daily driver. I don't even want to get into the meth debate...

Oh, and I've got a TT LSx RX7, so I don't want to hear anything about not having enough room
You may be right Nick but who the **** wants to haul a ****** ice box around in a daily driver "get a grip pal"
Attached Thumbnails Another Hall's deal!!!-ice.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can listen to your tuner, and I'll listen to my friend that's helping me spec out the new setup, who's built 6 and 7 second street cars, who has hands on experience on the matter
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

But if thats what the customer wanted then that's what the customer wanted...

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!