Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mach at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 429 Likes on 338 Posts

^^^^^^That's the problem

Originally Posted by big hammer
hydraulic supposedly. it's like the clutch doesn't fully disengage at high rpm.
That's a pp issue. Fingers suck in, hyraulic release bearing can't release the clutch completely. Shifting gets notchy or you just start missing gears. It usually starts as missing 4th. Then it gets weak enough it moves back to 3rd. It can depend on gear ratio to because it's the sustained high rpm that messes it up.
Originally Posted by adamantium
From termi swaped notch to bolt on f-body, says he'll never go back to a ford engine. Umad stoppyautmachheateretc...
He's very scorned.
Originally Posted by evangto87
let them start playing with new 5.0s... i think they would be lieing to themselves if they hated on it. I hated working on my buddies 03/04 cobra motors... just a giant mess of a confusion and parts/pullies.

I went from various LS/LQ stuff.... i love the ever living **** out of my roadrunner. Technology is a bitch! Its a simple motor. Not quite as simple as push rod motors... but as simple as a mod motor is going to get. Theres a reason its 300lbs lighter then the ALUMINIUM 2013 GT500 long block.
Their good engines.
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Problems with clutch not fully disengaging? I think that is my issue mainly on 2nd gear. I am having a McLeod RXT twin disc installed and the mechanic mentioned putting a spacer behind the slave cylinder to allow more length to fully disengage.
The spacer is a crutch. I'm not so sure it don't aggravate the problem by pushing the pp to far. We've spaced them up before and it would work for a while but once the pp gets stressed to the point the fingers loose their pressure it's done.
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
That was great...ahahaha

Same issue I had... the pressure plate was fubar both times. First time it just wouldn't work above 5K.... the little metal weights snapped off...

the second time the damn thing cracked in a couple of places and wouldn't shift above 6K. GM quality FTW!

I broke my original clutch too. It took a good beating though.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

likely isn't a pressure plate issue. it never shifted properly from new.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Now I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with your hydraulics. But if they are right then it's the pp for sure if it's rpm related.

Atleast from my experience.

Go out there put it in gear on level ground. Rev it up to 6k and see if you can feel the clutch drag. Mine would actually move my car a little. Do a few quick clean out type revs too.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen everyone!!!!!!!

We all are wrong and Hiho is right. Now drop it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Funny...my pos cable clutch system and stock clutch has taken 5 launches on sticky tires all which best your 60' with your million dollar exotic clutch. Sad
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Why in the hell is this dick-gurgle thread STILL proceeding?

Quit feeding this troll, everyone.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

BAHAHA

Razor01Z28
This message is hidden because Razor01Z28 is on your ignore list.

its so much nicer.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
BAHAHA

Razor01Z28

its so much nicer.

Told ya!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Now I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with your hydraulics. But if they are right then it's the pp for sure if it's rpm related.

Atleast from my experience.

Go out there put it in gear on level ground. Rev it up to 6k and see if you can feel the clutch drag. Mine would actually move my car a little. Do a few quick clean out type revs too.

whatever it is, it's a common issue with the gt's and bosses. especially on the 1-2 shift.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

BAHAHA

Razor01Z28

its so much nicer.
Don't pretend like you didn't unblock me to read it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^^^^That's the problem

That's a pp issue. Fingers suck in, hyraulic release bearing can't release the clutch completely. Shifting gets notchy or you just start missing gears. It usually starts as missing 4th. Then it gets weak enough it moves back to 3rd. It can depend on gear ratio to because it's the sustained high rpm that messes it up.

He's very scorned.

Their good engines.

The spacer is a crutch. I'm not so sure it don't aggravate the problem by pushing the pp to far. We've spaced them up before and it would work for a while but once the pp gets stressed to the point the fingers loose their pressure it's done.

I think just getting the factory clutch out of there and putting the McLeod in will fix the problem.. but I suppose as extra measure to be sure the clutch is fully disengaging he will throw the spacer in there. Don't think it will hurt anything.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Listen everyone!!!!!!!

We all are wrong and Hiho is right. Now drop it.
lol.....so far in this thread I'm about the only in here w/o clutch problems.
Funny...my pos cable clutch system and stock clutch has taken 5 launches on sticky tires all which best your 60' with your million dollar exotic clutch. Sad
More talking out your ***. My million dollar exotic clutch was pieced together with used(free) and a few new pieces. Ran it off used free discs for years....lol I've got a hole $600-700 in it. Then I can get new discs and plates for about $400.....I gots me some high dolla **** yo!!!!

I don't care about 60' much stoppy. I've said this before. I also went 11.5 before I ever ran the car on a dr. I've never raced anyone for just 60' and I don't have a bracket car. My clutch was not the hold up an my 60 anyway. Since your car is so great you should've run it on your nitto's. Then we coulda compared our 60'......but YOU pussed out on that.

Now go compare your mid 12 sec sub 110 mach with someone else.
whatever it is, it's a common issue with the gt's and bosses. especially on the 1-2 shift.
Seems strange. Do they have a slave or a hydraulic release bearing?
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I think just getting the factory clutch out of there and putting the McLeod in will fix the problem.. but I suppose as extra measure to be sure the clutch is fully disengaging he will throw the spacer in there. Don't think it will hurt anything.
Hopefully that will fix it for ya. The thing is if it disengages enough to be put in gear easily then the hydraulics are working right. If it a high rpm none disengagement then that leads me to think clutch. I have see this on new clutches before also. I have also seen the pedal stick to the floor on linkage clutches which is also pp related. That's assuming everything else is in working order.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 05-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

neither of my cars have clutch problems. not even my 02 and I haven't even done the drill mod.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

the 5.0's do it right from new. not all, but common. the harder you drive the car the sooner you'll notice it. the worst culprit is the 1-2 shift at redline. if you ram the gear it grinds, if you take the extra 1\2 second to shift it goes in fine.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

neither of my cars have clutch problems. not even my 02 and I haven't even done the drill mod.
oh... I thought you were having problems. I must have misread.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

oh... I thought you were having problems. I must have misread.

my friends 2013 boss 302. I can shift anything with ease, but not that thing.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

the 5.0's do it right from new. not all, but common. the harder you drive the car the sooner you'll notice it. the worst culprit is the 1-2 shift at redline. if you ram the gear it grinds, if you take the extra 1\2 second to shift it goes in fine.
W/o having any experience with those it's hard to say. I can only tell what I figured out from the f-body's and see if it translates.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Before the drill mod I could never power shift 3rd... If I hit the clutch and hesitated it would go in every time but I always had to wait for it...after the drill mod the issue was gone.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol.....so far in this thread I'm about the only in here w/o clutch problems.

More talking out your ***. My million dollar exotic clutch was pieced together with used(free) and a few new pieces. Ran it off used free discs for years....lol I've got a hole $600-700 in it. Then I can get new discs and plates for about $400.....I gots me some high dolla **** yo!!!!

I don't care about 60' much stoppy. I've said this before. I also went 11.5 before I ever ran the car on a dr. I've never raced anyone for just 60' and I don't have a bracket car. My clutch was not the hold up an my 60 anyway. Since your car is so great you should've run it on your nitto's. Then we coulda compared our 60'......but YOU pussed out on that.

Now go compare your mid 12 sec sub 110 mach with someone else.

Seems strange. Do they have a slave or a hydraulic release bearing?

Hopefully that will fix it for ya. The thing is if it disengages enough to be put in gear easily then the hydraulics are working right. If it a high rpm none disengagement then that leads me to think clutch. I have see this on new clutches before also. I have also seen the pedal stick to the floor on linkage clutches which is also pp related. That's assuming everything else is in working order.
The 1-2 grind issue is actually fairly common on the 10-12 GT500's. Too common. I believe it is a design flaw in the setup of the factory clutch. I read one persons thread who mentioned he took his in for warranty and they replaced his clutch with a 13' clutch and also replaced the shifter.

I think like you mentioned that the pressure plate is not holding well enough at 6000+ rpm shifts. The McLeod is built to live there in that range. It is pretty stout dual disc design. Plus I will be running the Mcleod steel flywheel.. so should have less rpm drop between shifts, and help a little more on the launch. Crossing my fingers anyway.

BTW, it shift perfect during normal driving. Everynow and then I get that "double notch" shifting into 2nd gear.. but not every time
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friends actually going through the same issue with his clutch setup he has a 98 though. His car loses pressure if he holds it down the clutch pedal for too long and he has to refill the fluid every so often. My car (knock on wood) has never had this issue. Its an 02 though.

Luckily he's getting a monster stage 2 clutch/lightweight flywheel and 01-02 OEM master, were gonna do the drill mod on it.

Last edited by adamantium; 05-02-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Mach at the track