Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to freshen up my old build, aiming for 460whp. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to freshen up my old build, aiming for 460whp. Ideas?

About two years ago now, as I was full throttle, two of three cam gear bolts backed out and the gear spun off its normal axis, with one half-broken bolt holding it in. I had tried turning the car over a couple times after this happened as I was on the side of a busy street, the car just died at about 6000rpm or so.

I got her towed home, ripped apart, new bolts put in and everything back together, and she started up but the timing was way off. So now my plan is to drop the motor once I get my hoist up in my garage, and take the heads off.

Now this is where I need some opinions/advice. I have AFR 205s, and a custom grind cam. I want to go with a huge cam this year, and I wanted to replace the valvetrain anyways. This set up has about 40,000kms on it now.

If the heads are okay and just the valves are bent, I will just buy a full valvetrain/pushrod set up and make sure it works with whatever cam I want. But if the heads are screwed, I was told that if I sent them to get fixed and shaved down, then Im really limited to what cam I can use because of the higher compression.

So basically, I just want to know what you guys think I should do if the heads are fine, what should I get for new valves and springs, lifters and all that. And if the heads are NOT fine, I may end up just buying new AFR215s or something. I have about 3 grand to play with here.

I just want a reliable 460whp, opinions and ideas? Help me build me daily driven race car!

This has been its resting place for about a year now tired of seeing it just under a cover. Help!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You made 420 rwhp on the setup in your sig, and you want to make 460 rwhp with just a cam change basically...or am I reading this wrong?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you cool with flycutting at all? If so, even if your heads need to be milled down due to damage, then you can still run however big of a cam you want too and you'll be fine in regards to piston to valve clearance. If you refuse to flycut, and the heads are damaged, then it really just depends on how much they end up getting milled down to. Dr. Whigam on here ran AFR 205cc heads, milled down to 59cc, with a 230/236 112 LSA cam and didn't have any piston to valve clearance issues. With that said, I'm not sure he measured to see just how much clearance he had, so he may have been on the razors edge of what you would consider safe. Could you also define your definition of a huge cam? Huge cam, AFR 205cc heads, and piston to valve clearance don't exactly go hand in hand without flycutting. If I were you, I would have the heads milled in order to achieve around 12:1 compression, run a custom spec'd cam from someone like Ed Curtis at Flowtech Inductions, get a FAST 92 or 102 setup, and get the car tuned by someone who knows their ****. With those mods, you should be very close to, or possibly over, your 460 rwhp goal.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I would sell it all as a longblock and buy a 370ci engine and ported OEM castings.

There's a good chance the heads need new valves, guides, and a valve job. The pistons could have gotten banged up if not destroyed, so you're probably in need of a shortblock anyways.

420whp seems pathetic with AFR heads, but hopefully it runs better than those numbers suggest. 460whp should be easy with more cubes and a decent set of OEM heads.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Are you cool with flycutting at all? If so, even if your heads need to be milled down due to damage, then you can still run however big of a cam you want too and you'll be fine in regards to piston to valve clearance. If you refuse to flycut, and the heads are damaged, then it really just depends on how much they end up getting milled down to. Dr. Whigam on here ran AFR 205cc heads, milled down to 59cc, with a 230/236 112 LSA cam and didn't have any piston to valve clearance issues. With that said, I'm not sure he measured to see just how much clearance he had, so he may have been on the razors edge of what you would consider safe. Could you also define your definition of a huge cam? Huge cam, AFR 205cc heads, and piston to valve clearance don't exactly go hand in hand without flycutting. If I were you, I would have the heads milled in order to achieve around 12:1 compression, run a custom spec'd cam from someone like Ed Curtis at Flowtech Inductions, get a FAST 92 or 102 setup, and get the car tuned by someone who knows their ****. With those mods, you should be very close to, or possibly over, your 460 rwhp goal.
Im not familiar with flycutting, what exactly do you mean by that as an option? I was thinking of getting another custom cam that is ground to work with the rest of my set up. Would the benefit from a FAST 102 be worth it over the LS6? And at the end of all this, I can get Aric Carrion from Injected Engineering to tune my car next time he makes a trip up to Toronto.

So if flycutting is something that is relatively easily accomplished, Ill probably go with what you said. Bigger intake mani, fixed heads, stronger valvetrain, and then a custom cam made to work with everything..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is done using a special tool you can rent from guys on here. The tool cuts valve reliefs into the pistons to allow you moe clearance to run milled heads and a bigger cam. You won't get 460 without a FAST intake. No way the LS6 intake will be good enough to allow those heads to breath. Flycutting is not hard, based on what others have said, but I have no experience, so really can't say for sure. Everyone I know who has done it said they just took their time and it was cake.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM
KCS

You won't get 460 without a FAST intake.
That's a load of bullshit. You do realize that you recently commented on a thread where a guy made 455whp in a cam only LS6...with an LS6 intake?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KCS

That's a load of bullshit. You do realize that you recently commented on a thread where a guy made 455whp in a cam only LS6...with an LS6 intake?
Show me how many LS1's made 460 rwhp with a LS6 intake. I guess I should rephrase and say it can be done, but it's highly unlikely.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree it's gonna be very hard to do it with an LS6 intake. 1 7/8" headers, FAST, decent size cam with those heads you should meet that goal easy.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I agree it's gonna be very hard to do it with an LS6 intake. 1 7/8" headers, FAST, decent size cam with those heads you should meet that goal easy.
AFR 205's at 59cc GM MLS head gaskets (.051 compressed)
FTI HellRaiser 229/239 .631.631 112+2 (That cam was spec'd for 241's and an LS6 intake. I'd personally get Ed to do something custom to really take advantage of the AFR's)
Unported Fast 92 Nick Williams 92

That's really it. TSP 1 7/8 and TSP duals, SLP lid, stock MAF (made 452 with stock MAF) trunion upgraded rockers, 7.4 pushrods...

My shortblock also had 145k miles when I did it. Could have made more possibly with fresher rings. Who knows. Maybe more with Cometic .040 gaskets. That would have been fly cutting time though I believe (which I'm not opposed to at all) it's easy. There's a good write up here, and JakeFushion just did it as well.

Check out the pistons and make sure the guides are good. If not, and you need valves, turn down some LS3's and throw em in and mill the heads. At least you know how far you "could" go...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ This is the guy I was talking about OP. Hell of a setup. Wasn't it a 229/236 112 lsa cam Dave?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 PM
The Scammer Hammer

^^^ This is the guy I was talking about OP. Hell of a setup. Wasn't it a 229/236 112 lsa cam Dave?
Yep. 112+2 for a 110 ICL
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I got 459rwhp on a stock 5.7 block with and the Hawks "sinister" H/C/I package and a tune buy nic D @ ADC..The kit comes with a FAST 102 intake.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
KCS

Show me how many LS1's made 460 rwhp with a LS6 intake. I guess I should rephrase and say it can be done, but it's highly unlikely.
It's more common than you think. I repeat, a cam only LS6 made 455whp. Achieving that power is less about the manifold and more about the heads and cam. Getting those two right is what doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by KCS
It's more common than you think. I repeat, a cam only LS6 made 455whp. Achieving that power is less about the manifold and more about the heads and cam. Getting those two right is what doesn't happen very often.
I'd like to see the graph either way. How "broad" the powerband was, torque curve... Not just peak.

Also, on a setup like that, I'd REALLY like to know what the MAP was reading at WOT
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'd like to see the graph either way. How "broad" the powerband was, torque curve... Not just peak.

Also, on a setup like that, I'd REALLY like to know what the MAP was reading at WOT
It's posted in the dyno section. Can't miss it. There's also a post with a guy who made 465whp with an LS2 manifold, which in the cathedral port hierarchy, is supposed to be on par with, if not worse than an LS6 intake manifold.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by KCS
It's posted in the dyno section. Can't miss it. There's also a post with a guy who made 465whp with an LS2 manifold, which in the cathedral port hierarchy, is supposed to be on par with, if not worse than an LS6 intake manifold.
Hmmm. Another Ed Curtis Cam. I'm seeing a trend here...
Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

Hmmm. Another Ed Curtis Cam. I'm seeing a trend here...
Anyone got a link to the 465 rwhp with the LS2 manifold dyno thread? Ed Curtis, who's that guy.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
KCS

Anyone got a link to the 465 rwhp with the LS2 manifold dyno thread? Ed Curtis, who's that guy.
Here ya go.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM
KCS

And another...

463whp SAE with a stock LS2 intake manifold and throttle body. I think I recently saw one of these manifolds go for $150 in the Classifieds.

Quick Reply: Starting to freshen up my old build, aiming for 460whp. Ideas?