Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running a manual rack and pinion on their Fbody? What's it like??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running a manual rack and pinion on their Fbody? What's it like??

Just like the title says, I was wondering whether or not any of you own, or have driven, a late model (93-'02) Fbody that has switched over to manual steering. Thunder Racing offers the manual set up for $675.

Can anybody tell me anything about it? How does it drive? What's the steering like?

Please list some reasons why you WOULD or WOULDN'T reccomend it.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just my $.02...

It's reasonably easy with skinnies up front. A little effort for a guy with grover arms (like me).

With 275/40-17's, you're going to kill somebody. Seriously. Forget turning or parking lot maneuvers. It ain't easy.

If you're looking for a handling mod, this isn't it.

If you're looking to save some weight, get rid of belt length and reduce drag on the motor, it's a good mod if you run skinnies all the time.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Just my $.02...

It's reasonably easy with skinnies up front. A little effort for a guy with grover arms (like me).

With 275/40-17's, you're going to kill somebody. Seriously. Forget turning or parking lot maneuvers. It ain't easy.

If you're looking for a handling mod, this isn't it.

If you're looking to save some weight, get rid of belt length and reduce drag on the motor, it's a good mod if you run skinnies all the time.
I don't run skinnies but at the same time, I don't run 275's either. Right now I'm running 245/45 16's up front.

I know it's not going to help in the handeling department but as you said, it will free up some HP/reduce weight/ slightly more space. The decision isn't final yet I just need some opinions.

Right now, from the few people I've spoken to, opinions are mixed. Some reccoment it, saying there is VERY LITTLE difference between the manual rack and pinion and factory power assisted. Other's reccomend AGAINST it and say the car won't be drivable.

I'm stuck here. Don't know what to do,
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Launching!

This is comparing apples to oranges, but might be worth considering...

Maximum Motorsports, the *****-to-the-wall road racing guys of the Mustang world, were running a manual rack setup for quite some time in one of their AI / AIX cars.

From what I've been able to gather, it's an issue of the rack ratio as well as corner weighting of the vehicle. With the right ratio and a LIGHT front end, it might be feasible.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I drove a 66 Chevelle in High school that had no pwr steering, with a 454 under the hood it wasnt that big of a deal. Once the car is rolling its like you have pwr steering, its when your at a dead stop its hard to turn, but now i have HUGE forearms I been toying with the idea on my TA, wouldnt be a big deal to me, and in highschool I weighed 130lbs, so you dont have to be a big guy to handle it
Old 12-28-2004, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I"m running a Madman manual rack, like it alot. I had to remove my p/s since I had no place to mount the reservoir anymore. Car turns easy when moving.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I"m running a Madman manual rack, like it alot. I had to remove my p/s since I had no place to mount the reservoir anymore. Car turns easy when moving.
Just when I think I'm no longer going with the manual steering idea due to all the comments about it "not being streetable" someone posts saying that it's great. Now I'm back to square one again

Why are there so many mixed opinions on the subject? Manual steering is either going to be difficult to steer, or it's not. Why do some reccomend staying away from it at all costs, while others rave about how great it is?

Pro Stock John, due you drive your car on a daily basis? I'll be using my car as a daily driver and while I can put up with a lot, I'm not sure I'd have the patience for a really bad steering car. How much of a difference did the switch make in your day to day driving? Is it really as bad as people say? Is the steering feel that much different?

Say you stopped at an inter-section, then you had to make a right or left turn, or maybe you had to do a parralel park from a dead stop, is the steering that difficult?

This is really important to me guys, I really want to make an informative decision. I don't want to spend money on something I'd regred.

I also don't to miss the oppertunity to pick up the manual steering rack now while my motor is out which would make it alot easier to install rather then installing it later when the motor is already back in (which would make instalation a pain in the @ss)

I need to make this decision soon. keep the responses coming...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I drove a 66 Chevelle in High school that had no pwr steering, with a 454 under the hood it wasnt that big of a deal. Once the car is rolling its like you have pwr steering, its when your at a dead stop its hard to turn, but now i have HUGE forearms I been toying with the idea on my TA, wouldnt be a big deal to me, and in highschool I weighed 130lbs, so you dont have to be a big guy to handle it
Been spendin a little too much time in front of the computer with the pr0n have we?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '93 LT1
Pro Stock John, due you drive your car on a daily basis?.
Uhm.... nevermind. I just saw your avatar and read your signature. I think it's pretty safe to assume it's no longer a dail driver
Old 12-28-2004, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I've had a 65 Chevelle since I was 16 w/ no power steering. Not a big deal at all. Like Rav T/A said above, its only a bi**h to turn at a dead stop, once ya start rolling its fine. I ran 225's on the front of the Chevelle and had no prob handling it on curves and turns with one arm. It really does build up your arm muscles. So I'd recommend it unless you have a wife/ gf that ever drives the car.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manual rack is a lot easier to drive than the looped power rack. I have no problem driving around town with the manual rack. Yes you do have to excert more arm strength at slower speeds.

It sounds like with all your questions and you having to drive the car everyday this might not be the mod for you. If this is a LT1 car you will have to figure out how to put a idler pulley in place of the pump so you can have your A/C.

225-343-9029
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

I think it comes down to personal preference. Im sure you will get used to it if you do it. Personally I like my powersteering. If I had an all out drag car of course it would be gone. But I dont, I dont intend to ever with this car, so Im keeping PS.

How much weight does it save anyways?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NateLS1
How much weight does it save anyways?
This thread says 11 pounds weight saving for removing the power steering pump, and 10 pounds weight saving for changing to the manual steering rack, for 21 total;this thread says 7 pounds saving for the manual rack, and 15 total for the pump removal and manual rack (for 8 for just the pump).

Here are some related threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/236325-power-steering-delete.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/222080-question-manual-rack-pinion.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/231075-no-power-steering.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/222593-thinking-about-converting-manual-steering.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/187472-can-you-remove-power-steering-yet-retain-stock-rack-without-damaging.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/204323-about-powersteering-pump-removal.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/196464-how-much-weight-saved-manual-rack.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/242800-how-many-you-using-aftermarket-manual-rack-pinion.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/186586-anyone-drive-street-no-powersteering-how-remove.html

Last edited by ACW; 12-29-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I ran a stock looped rack for a year and hated it.

I don't daily drive my car but if I did, the only time I would notice it was at dead stop trying to take a tight turn.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Launching!

What's the ratio on a the madman rack vs. the stock rack?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trax
What's the ratio on a the madman rack vs. the stock rack?
mongse says in https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242800 that the power rack is about 12:1 and the manual rack is about 18:1
Old 12-29-2004, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MADMAN
It sounds like with all your questions and you having to drive the car everyday this might not be the mod for you. If this is a LT1 car you will have to figure out how to put a idler pulley in place of the pump so you can have your A/C.

It is an LT1, and it will still be used as a daily driver. I've ditched the heating and A/C.

I'm asking a lot of questions because, as I said earlier, I want to make an informed decision. I put up with a lot already (EXTREMELY loud exhaust/low fuel economy/ bad wet whether driving with my ET streets, etc) but with the manual rack, I'mjust worried the car will handle and turn like crap. THAT, I'm not sure I can deal with.

A "little" harder steering from a dead stop? I can handle that. But if it's a pain to turn all the time, that's a different story.

Does anybody here regret going with manual steering ?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
dug
Banned

I put the short belt on and never took it off. At first it felt almost undrivable but I got used to it. The only time its a pain is at real slow speeds like in a drive thru. This is with 245 50 16" tires and the stock rack. With the manual rack it wouldnt be a problem at all.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The Madman rack drives like stock except at a dead stop.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a manual rack and pinion on their Fbody? What's it like??