LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how good are the LT1's vs LS1's

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how good are the LT1's vs LS1's

i've got a chance to get a really nice 95 trans am LT1 of course that is not to bad but it i've never really dealt with LT1's that much. I do have some dealings with LS1's i know that everyone talks crap about the LT1 but i'm wondering if this motor is any good what are things to watch out for. i know opti's is one. i have a buddy that has a 383 LT1 that is very fast but i don't know about the problems or other tihngs associated with this motor.
I can buy a 99 T/a Ls1 for about the same money but i have to do body work on it with the Lt car nothing but buy it and drive it.
thanks Charles
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

ide say go LS1 due to it is an altogether better motor, but i love my LT1. besides optis, really not too much else that wouldnt go wrong on other motors. optis dont go out much more often then a regular distributor really.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

There are problems with every motor. It depends on what you're looking for. The same mods on a LT1 and LS1 are going to make more power on the LS1. It fixed a lot of the problem areas on the LT1. However, you're also going to pay a lot more for parts on the LS1 cars.

The optispark is one of the problem areas on the LT1 for several reasons, but a well kept car will last a long time.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said, both are great motors. If the Opti causes you problems down the line, you can always convert over to the same system the LS1 uses (coil pack per cylinder, called LTCC). You won't be displeased with the LT1.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Do yourself a favor and do a search. This topic has been covered about 1000 times and it will just turn into an argument.

Here, I did a search for you.

LS1 vs. LT1
whats it take to beat a stock ls1
Why build/keep an LT1?
Why do you guys keep holding on to your lt1s?
LS1 vrs. LT1
LT1 vs LS1
What Engine would you get?
Ate An LS1 Camaro Tonight!
im sure this has been asked
Dealing with LS1 people..
My LT1 is an LS1 killer?
Anyone have a vid of a LS1 vs LT1 (stock to stock)?
LT1 vs LS1, what are the actual differences?
ls1 torque vs lt1 torque
LT1 vs. LS1

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 95 TA and it has been great. Even with all of the mods I have done including the 125rwhp shot - I have not had any major problems. At the time when I bought my TA I could have bought an LS1 but it would not have been in as good shape as my LT1. The money I saved I put into mods and now I have a better, faster car for less money.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
As said, both are great motors. If the Opti causes you problems down the line, you can always convert over to the same system the LS1 uses (coil pack per cylinder, called LTCC). You won't be displeased with the LT1.
Where can i find a system like this cuz my opti is goin and i only want to fix it once
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruzin94
Where can i find a system like this cuz my opti is goin and i only want to fix it once
http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

I suppose I don't really have enough experience with the car yet to give you a good answer because I have only had is since last october, but for what it's worth my LT1 has not had a single issue besides typical wear items. I do know though that many LT1s make it to 180k+. Not amazing but I wouldn't say that's anything to sneeze at either for a performance engine.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

It was the most modern technology when it came out. The opti was supposed to be revolutionary in its own way. Unfortunately, GM used cheap bearings and put the waterpump right on top of it WITH a weep hole. Not too bright in hindsight.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Stock, an LS1 has a better air intake set up, less restrictive exhaust manifolds, they're lighter, have an aluminum driveshaft and if I'm not mistaken, roller rockers. Do those mods to an LT1 and you shouldn't be far behind at all. LS1 heads flow better, but for the price difference between LS1 and LT1 cars, you could buy and install ported heads, an intake manifold and a cam from Lloyd Elliot. A lot of LS1 owners run mid 13's stock. I've also spoken to a number of LT1 owners who've run mid to low 13's with nothing more than a full exhaust set up plus a cold air intake.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

LS1 engines pull harder to the top end due to more power and wider LSA on the factory cam, the LT1 makes olmost the same torque, a LS1 will cost more while the LT1 is cheaper due to age and parts becoming more readily available as cars see tha junkyard. If my LT1 dies i will replace it with a LSx prolly.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
LS1 engines pull harder to the top end due to more power and wider LSA on the factory cam, the LT1 makes olmost the same torque, a LS1 will cost more while the LT1 is cheaper due to age and parts becoming more readily available as cars see tha junkyard. If my LT1 dies i will replace it with a LSx prolly.
No an LS1 pulls harder up top because it has a better intake setup, better heads, and better exhaust manifolds. And have you ever noticed how heads/cam LS1's are making over 430rwtq while heads/cam LT1's are all around 360-370rwtq? To the original poster, if you want speed buy an LS1.
On average
A bolton LT1 is about equal with a stock LS1
A cammed LT1 is about equal to a bolton LS1
A heads/cam LT1 is about equal to a cammed LS1
A 383/heads/cam LT1 is < a h/c LS1
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
No an LS1 pulls harder up top because it has a better intake setup, better heads, and better exhaust manifolds. And have you ever noticed how heads/cam LS1's are making over 430rwtq while heads/cam LT1's are all around 360-370rwtq? To the original poster, if you want speed buy an LS1.
On average
Well, as i said, it makes MORE power, it doesnt have better anything, it is a better newer completely different motor that makes more power. It has a full on redesigned fresh start, unlike the LT1 which is simply derived from the GEN I, so it is just a different animal. That is why it is cheaper to build a LT1 also, the GEN I is the cheapest ever, so in turn it makes the LT1 cheaper rotating assy. wise.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

On average
I don't completely agree with all that. Alot of heads/cam LT1s are over the 400rwhp mark. In fact, there's one that made 452rwhp, so there's some heavy hitters out there and alot of quitters who jumped on the LS1 bandwagon. And bolt on LT1 being equal to a stock LS1: PLEASE! Since when did the LS1 run 11.80s off the showroom floor? That's what the bolt on record is for LT1. I have alot of respect for the LS1 design. It was well researched and makes tons of power, but once you go inside either one it's a toss up. Just my .02.

In response to the question, the only real concern on the LT1 is the opti. They were poorly located on the engine but hell, it's man made. It's not going to be perfect just like the egr tube on the LS1 and don't get me started on piston slap.

I know, the horse is dead. Don't beat him anymore.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On average
i agree with the first statement but i think youre numbers are a little off. My bolt-on LT1 has beaten SEVERAL stock LS1s and it has nearly beaten a cammed and bolt-on LS1 before inthe 1/4 mile. (Ill admit i put this guy to shame in the driving department).

Torque is the LT1s specialty. I think the reason you see poor numbers out of them alot is because of poor cam decisions. So many people would rather have an extra 7 hp up top than a bunch of useable power/torque down low. AKA they want a dyno queen. dyno numbers dont mean everything.

You can also easily achieve 360 rwhp without even touching the heads or intake on an LT1. people wouldnt spend thousands on heads either if it only gained them 10hp.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 08-29-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
I don't completely agree with all that. Alot of heads/cam LT1s are over the 400rwhp mark. In fact, there's one that made 452rwhp, so there's some heavy hitters out there and alot of quitters who jumped on the LS1 bandwagon. And bolt on LT1 being equal to a stock LS1: PLEASE! Since when did the LS1 run 11.80s off the showroom floor? That's what the bolt on record is for LT1. I have alot of respect for the LS1 design. It was well researched and makes tons of power, but once you go inside either one it's a toss up. Just my .02.

In response to the question, the only real concern on the LT1 is the opti. They were poorly located on the engine but hell, it's man made. It's not going to be perfect just like the egr tube on the LS1 and don't get me started on piston slap.

I know, the horse is dead. Don't beat him anymore.
That's the dumbest post I've read on LS1tech.com ever. Thanks.

To the OP, buy the LS1.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

dont let these guys make your choice for you. its YOUR car in the end. you have to deal with it. The pros of LS1 a bit easier to work on, no opti *which may or may not be a problem* and stock ya get a bit more power. Pros of LT1 cheaper, ya get the under dog factor *which is always fun* ya get the sound of a small block not a 346 or whatever that LS1 is at displacement wise. And id still take the LT1 because your startin to not see nice ones anymore. now days its the ricers steppin up to play with the big dogs but still mess up the car with dumb body kits neons and multi-colord paint because they cant afford a paint job.

Its your choice get whichever makes you happy. and have fun.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

After owning my LS1 and LT1...............LS1 hands down
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

I originally wanted an Ls1, but I didn't have the money to get a decent one. So I bought a decent Lt1. Considering I don't live my life at the track, its a good daily driver, its fun and gets good mileage. But if I could go back a year and a half and decide, I would have went LSx. Pay a little more and get the better motor.

Quick Reply: how good are the LT1's vs LS1's